Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 10:10-11

John 10:10-11    "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  (11)  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."

"The thief comes to steal, and to kill, and to destroy." "The good shepherd gives his life for the sheep."  We see the contrast between the two. One only wants to destroy us. The other, not only was willing to die, but indeed laid down His life for us. Which one will we seek to follow in our daily lives? It should be a "no-brainer" as to which one's influence we follow. But the truth of the matter is the thief is really good at his craft. He presents temptations before us with bright, crisp colors and sparkles all over.  It may look pretty, but it is full of poison.  

The good news is though the thief comes to kill, he cannot do that. He cannot have our life. That was bought and paid for by the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. The price of shed blood was paid in full by the Good Shepherd. Just as with Job, the Old Testament saint, Satan could not have his life, but he destroyed things all around him. He destroyed his health for a season. He caused great pain and heartache for Job and his family. But, the Good Shepherd was with Job through all his calamity. Job's quality of life was restored to him, but it is for certain "the thief" did a work on Job.

The Good Shepherd has never promised that our lives would be filled with ease while we are following Him. In our text, He has promised His life for us, which He gave. He has promised "abundant life" through Him.  We must realize that this abundant life does not necessarily consist of worldly treasures. It is a fact that the billionaires on earth are some of the most miserable people on earth. Not only are they miserable, they want everyone else to be in misery.

Again, let's contrast that with the promise of the Good Shepherd. I will jump forward for just a few minutes to the night Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the Roman soldiers. He spent those last hours, with His disciples, teaching them what to expect. Let's see what Jesus has promised to His followers. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." (John 14:27)   "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." (John 15:11)    "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love." (John 15:9)   The Good Shepherd has promised us His peace, joy, and love.

I submit these are the three most needed elements in our lives and they come from Jesus. This being true, I have to ask myself, "Why would I ever allow the poisonous temptations of the thief to draw me away?"  Give me Jesus! 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...