Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 10:10-11

John 10:10-11    "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.  (11)  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."

"The thief comes to steal, and to kill, and to destroy." "The good shepherd gives his life for the sheep."  We see the contrast between the two. One only wants to destroy us. The other, not only was willing to die, but indeed laid down His life for us. Which one will we seek to follow in our daily lives? It should be a "no-brainer" as to which one's influence we follow. But the truth of the matter is the thief is really good at his craft. He presents temptations before us with bright, crisp colors and sparkles all over.  It may look pretty, but it is full of poison.  

The good news is though the thief comes to kill, he cannot do that. He cannot have our life. That was bought and paid for by the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ. The price of shed blood was paid in full by the Good Shepherd. Just as with Job, the Old Testament saint, Satan could not have his life, but he destroyed things all around him. He destroyed his health for a season. He caused great pain and heartache for Job and his family. But, the Good Shepherd was with Job through all his calamity. Job's quality of life was restored to him, but it is for certain "the thief" did a work on Job.

The Good Shepherd has never promised that our lives would be filled with ease while we are following Him. In our text, He has promised His life for us, which He gave. He has promised "abundant life" through Him.  We must realize that this abundant life does not necessarily consist of worldly treasures. It is a fact that the billionaires on earth are some of the most miserable people on earth. Not only are they miserable, they want everyone else to be in misery.

Again, let's contrast that with the promise of the Good Shepherd. I will jump forward for just a few minutes to the night Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the Roman soldiers. He spent those last hours, with His disciples, teaching them what to expect. Let's see what Jesus has promised to His followers. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." (John 14:27)   "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." (John 15:11)    "As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love." (John 15:9)   The Good Shepherd has promised us His peace, joy, and love.

I submit these are the three most needed elements in our lives and they come from Jesus. This being true, I have to ask myself, "Why would I ever allow the poisonous temptations of the thief to draw me away?"  Give me Jesus! 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51