Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 10:14-18

John 10:14-18    "I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.  (15)  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.  (16)  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.  (17)  Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.  (18)  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."

I could not have planned this Devotional Text any better than how it worked. Today, we remember the death of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Today, we stop to remember the excruciating pain that Jesus, our Saviour, endured. His flesh was torn as the scourge was laid to His back. His humiliation as He was being paraded down the street as a common criminal. The unimaginable pain as the nails were driven through His hands and feet. And then, if that was not enough, the people began to hurl insults at Him as they filed past Him as He hung on that cross. This is not a pretty sight, is it?

All of this suffering had been foretold by the prophets of the Old Testament. Isaiah was inspired by the Holy Spirit, not only to describe in great detail the suffering, but also the reason for His suffering. He spoke of the Father turning His face away. He described the beard being plucked from the face of Jesus and how astonishing, how sickening, it was for the people to even look upon Him. He described the bruises and the torn flesh. He described people rejecting Jesus, though He had done no wrong whatsoever.  But then, He tells the results.  "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.  (4)  Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.  (5)  But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5)

"Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.  (11)  He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities." (Isaiah 53:10-11)   "The pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand... for He shall bear their iniquities."  Do we understand that today?  Can we fully grasp the great truth that God's love for us is so great that He was pleased to design redemption being accomplished through this terrible devised method of execution?  Do we understand God's hatred for sin and our depraved nature that He required such a death in order to bruise the head of Satan?  Can we fathom such love that He would give His only begotten Son, the One in Whom He was well pleased? What wondrous love is this, O my soul!

Jesus said, "I lay down my life... no man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself."  Understand Sunday's coming! He's going to take it up again!  But for today, let us think about the debt being paid for our sin. Jesus' love for me is so great that He willingly endured the suffering of the cross.  Oh! How I love Jesus, because He first loved me!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51