Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 11:45-48

John 11:45-48    "Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.  (46)  But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.  (47)  Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles.  (48)  If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation."

Paul tells us the Greeks seek after wisdom and the Jews seek a visible sign.  For one group, if I can understand the mechanics of how something happens, then I will be satisfied. For the other group, seeing is believing.  When the Jews who were at that place saw what Jesus did, they believed on Him. These are the same ones who had wondered why Jesus did not come immediately to heal Lazarus.  Out of that group, there were those who felt threatened by this power that was exhibited. They ran to tell the Pharisees what Jesus had done.  

We know what happened once the Pharisees were told of this great event.  How could anyone deny this great miracle which Jesus performed? We know the Pharisees could not even deny it; yet, they hated Jesus.  They didn't hate Him because of the miracles. They hated Him because people were beginning to follow Him.  It would lead to their position (place) be taken from them.  Of course, they feigned concern over the nation, but their main concern was for themselves.

As I am reading these verses and typing this devotion, my mind is confessing, "I will never understand human nature."  I cannot even understand my own nature, much less anyone else's.  I am reminded of the words of the Apostle Paul.  "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do." (Romans 7:18-19)   The people who saw Lazarus come out of the grave could not wait to go tell the Pharisees. They did not tell them because they were in such awe of Jesus; rather, they also wanted Him to be dealt with.  

Now as I think about the manner in which these two groups of people responded to this great miracle, I ask myself which group would I be a part of?  But even more relevant than that, Which group am I a part of, today?   Do I stand in awe of that which the Lord has done and is doing in my life? Or, am I quick to dismiss it?  Recently, I tried to preach concerning the man who was laid at the porch of the temple. He asked alms of Peter and John. Peter said, "Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have, give I thee.... IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST OF NAZARETH, RISE UP AND WALK."  That man went walking, and leaping, and praising God for the great miracle performed in his life.  Have I lost that zeal for worship? Have I lost the joy of the blessing of having my heart washed by the blood of Jesus Christ?  

I feel it is time for God's people to come back to the place of joy and gladness in the worship of the Lord.  Have we taken for granted there is to be joy in the house of the Lord?  Do we believe the miracle of new life in Christ Jesus?  If so, isn't it time to get back to where the Lord would have us?   I want to be a part of this group: "Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51