Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 12:32-33

John 12:32-33    "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.  (33)  This he said, signifying what death he should die."

According to God's Word, we understand Jesus to be speaking of His death on the cross. This is not the first time we have seen Jesus speak of His death. Let's do a quick review this morning so we can place this in context.

(John 3:14-15)    "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:  (15)  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

(John 6:38-40)    "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.  (39)  And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.  (40)  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

(John 6:44)    "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

(John 6:47)    "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life."

I have used quite a bit of Scripture this morning becasuse the best way to interpret Scripture is by Scripture. In our text, Jesus said, "If I be liefted up... I will draw all men unto me." We know that not all men universally are drawn unto Him. There were those in His day and also in our day who will have nothing to do with the truth of Jesus. That is why I went back to previous statements of Jesus in order to see what was under consideration.  

It was God's determinate counsel for Jesus to die on the cross. We know the shedding of His blood paid for our sins. We praise Him for that. What I would like for us to see this morning is that the "drawing unto Christ" is done solely by the work of the Holy Spirit of God. He makes us alive in Christ Jesus, changing us from being dead in trespasses and sins to being alive in Christ Jesus.

When you look at the verses back in John chapter 6, we see the word "all" being used. The will of the Father is that all who are given to Christ will be raised unto eternal life. We also see that the Father does the drawing by way of the Holy Spirit. The one last thing that I want us to see is that when we are given the ability to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, we already have everlasting life.

Our being in Christ is all because of the work of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  I am so thankful for this because I could not have done it on my own. Neither could you have done it on your own. I praise my Lord for His drawing power upon me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...