Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 12:32-33

John 12:32-33    "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.  (33)  This he said, signifying what death he should die."

According to God's Word, we understand Jesus to be speaking of His death on the cross. This is not the first time we have seen Jesus speak of His death. Let's do a quick review this morning so we can place this in context.

(John 3:14-15)    "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:  (15)  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

(John 6:38-40)    "For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.  (39)  And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.  (40)  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

(John 6:44)    "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

(John 6:47)    "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life."

I have used quite a bit of Scripture this morning becasuse the best way to interpret Scripture is by Scripture. In our text, Jesus said, "If I be liefted up... I will draw all men unto me." We know that not all men universally are drawn unto Him. There were those in His day and also in our day who will have nothing to do with the truth of Jesus. That is why I went back to previous statements of Jesus in order to see what was under consideration.  

It was God's determinate counsel for Jesus to die on the cross. We know the shedding of His blood paid for our sins. We praise Him for that. What I would like for us to see this morning is that the "drawing unto Christ" is done solely by the work of the Holy Spirit of God. He makes us alive in Christ Jesus, changing us from being dead in trespasses and sins to being alive in Christ Jesus.

When you look at the verses back in John chapter 6, we see the word "all" being used. The will of the Father is that all who are given to Christ will be raised unto eternal life. We also see that the Father does the drawing by way of the Holy Spirit. The one last thing that I want us to see is that when we are given the ability to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, we already have everlasting life.

Our being in Christ is all because of the work of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  I am so thankful for this because I could not have done it on my own. Neither could you have done it on your own. I praise my Lord for His drawing power upon me.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51