Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 12:49-50

John 12:49-50    "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.  (50)  And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."

Have you ever read something in the Bible and as the Lord begins to reveal it to you, you suddenly say, "Ah ha! That's it!" ?

Well these two verses did that for me this morning.  This isn't the first time Jesus has spoken these thoughts, but for me it hit me right in the heart where it is intended to be. By this time, I hope you are saying, "Well, Steve, what is it you saw in these verses? Are you going to tell us, or not?"  Let me try to explain.

In verse 47, Jesus specifically said, "I came not to judge the world." I slipped right past it back in chapter 3, because Jesus said to Nicodemus, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." (John 3:17)  In putting these two verses together, I ask, "Why did Jesus not come to judge the world? Why did He not come to condemn the world?" The answer is found in the Word of God.  In the Garden of Eden, God had told Adam, "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Genesis 2:17)  What does that have to do with you and me? I'm glad you asked. Let's look at the words of God through the Apostle Paul, "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12)

Steve, I read these words, but I still don't get what you're trying to say.  Okay, let me try to put these verses together to show us the work of redemption by Jesus Christ.  Jesus did not come to judge the world, nor to condemn the world, because we had already been judged guilty and condemned to death because of sin. It wasn't just Adam's sin that condemned me. It was MY sin that judged and condemned me. Again, see Romans 5:12 in the above paragraph.  I was dead in trespasses and sin because of my sin and transgressions.

That being true, what did Jesus come to do? Let's go back to the Angel's announcement to Joseph concerning the birth of Jesus. "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)  This is not something that might possibly occur; rather, this is a definite statement from God through the Angel to Joseph (and to you and me). Jesus IS GOING TO save HIS people from their sins. He didn't say He would try to save, or that He would do all He could do and the rest is up to us. He didn't come to judge, nor condemn, but He came to SAVE! And He did just that when He died on the cross in our place.  Praise God, you and I are saved from our sins and it's all because of the work of Jesus Christ. His shed blood has washed our sins away. As God looks upon us, we are no longer guilty nor condemned, WE ARE SAVED!

I think of the song that was sung by the Gaithers..

Thank God I am free, free, free from this world of sin,
Washed in the blood of Jesus, I've been born again;
Hallelujah, I'm saved, saved, saved by His wonderful grace.
I'm so glad that I found out
He would bring me out and show me the way.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51