Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 12:49-50

John 12:49-50    "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.  (50)  And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."

Have you ever read something in the Bible and as the Lord begins to reveal it to you, you suddenly say, "Ah ha! That's it!" ?

Well these two verses did that for me this morning.  This isn't the first time Jesus has spoken these thoughts, but for me it hit me right in the heart where it is intended to be. By this time, I hope you are saying, "Well, Steve, what is it you saw in these verses? Are you going to tell us, or not?"  Let me try to explain.

In verse 47, Jesus specifically said, "I came not to judge the world." I slipped right past it back in chapter 3, because Jesus said to Nicodemus, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." (John 3:17)  In putting these two verses together, I ask, "Why did Jesus not come to judge the world? Why did He not come to condemn the world?" The answer is found in the Word of God.  In the Garden of Eden, God had told Adam, "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Genesis 2:17)  What does that have to do with you and me? I'm glad you asked. Let's look at the words of God through the Apostle Paul, "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12)

Steve, I read these words, but I still don't get what you're trying to say.  Okay, let me try to put these verses together to show us the work of redemption by Jesus Christ.  Jesus did not come to judge the world, nor to condemn the world, because we had already been judged guilty and condemned to death because of sin. It wasn't just Adam's sin that condemned me. It was MY sin that judged and condemned me. Again, see Romans 5:12 in the above paragraph.  I was dead in trespasses and sin because of my sin and transgressions.

That being true, what did Jesus come to do? Let's go back to the Angel's announcement to Joseph concerning the birth of Jesus. "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)  This is not something that might possibly occur; rather, this is a definite statement from God through the Angel to Joseph (and to you and me). Jesus IS GOING TO save HIS people from their sins. He didn't say He would try to save, or that He would do all He could do and the rest is up to us. He didn't come to judge, nor condemn, but He came to SAVE! And He did just that when He died on the cross in our place.  Praise God, you and I are saved from our sins and it's all because of the work of Jesus Christ. His shed blood has washed our sins away. As God looks upon us, we are no longer guilty nor condemned, WE ARE SAVED!

I think of the song that was sung by the Gaithers..

Thank God I am free, free, free from this world of sin,
Washed in the blood of Jesus, I've been born again;
Hallelujah, I'm saved, saved, saved by His wonderful grace.
I'm so glad that I found out
He would bring me out and show me the way.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...