Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 13:3-5

John 13:3-5    "Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; (4) He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. (5) After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."

There are times in life when we feel we have something to prove.  We may think we have to prove it to someone else or, sometimes, we feel we have to prove it to ourselves.  Why does this happen?

As a boy, it usually was because someone challenged me - my knowledge, my ability, my strength, my nerves.  I had to prove I was not afraid. I had to prove my worth. By the way, I have no worth outside of Christ.

"Jesus, knowing...."  He had absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He knew He was come from God. He knew He was going to God. He knew all things had been committed unto Him. He had nothing to prove to anyone else about His Person.

So, what did He do? "He poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." He took upon Himself the role of the servant.

The foot washing servant was the lowest of all the servants in any household. Jesus Christ is Lord. Make certain of that as you read this devotion, but He did not feel the need to prove that fact to anyone. Instead, on this night that He would be betrayed, He humbled Himself to wash the disciples' feet.  Included in that group was Judas, the one who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.  That's right. Jesus washed the feet of the one who betrayed Him.

The next time I feel the need to "prove myself", I pray I will stop and remember that Christ has already proved His love for me. He went to the cross for me. He suffered pain and humiliation for me. He died for me.  He loves me unconditionally and NOTHING can separate me from His love.

What do I have to prove to anyone? Nothing! I am secure in Christ by His blood and through His love. Therefore, I need to concentrate on showing my love for my Jesus by following His example. I am called to be a servant.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...