Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 13:3-5

John 13:3-5    "Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; (4) He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. (5) After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."

There are times in life when we feel we have something to prove.  We may think we have to prove it to someone else or, sometimes, we feel we have to prove it to ourselves.  Why does this happen?

As a boy, it usually was because someone challenged me - my knowledge, my ability, my strength, my nerves.  I had to prove I was not afraid. I had to prove my worth. By the way, I have no worth outside of Christ.

"Jesus, knowing...."  He had absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He knew He was come from God. He knew He was going to God. He knew all things had been committed unto Him. He had nothing to prove to anyone else about His Person.

So, what did He do? "He poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." He took upon Himself the role of the servant.

The foot washing servant was the lowest of all the servants in any household. Jesus Christ is Lord. Make certain of that as you read this devotion, but He did not feel the need to prove that fact to anyone. Instead, on this night that He would be betrayed, He humbled Himself to wash the disciples' feet.  Included in that group was Judas, the one who betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.  That's right. Jesus washed the feet of the one who betrayed Him.

The next time I feel the need to "prove myself", I pray I will stop and remember that Christ has already proved His love for me. He went to the cross for me. He suffered pain and humiliation for me. He died for me.  He loves me unconditionally and NOTHING can separate me from His love.

What do I have to prove to anyone? Nothing! I am secure in Christ by His blood and through His love. Therefore, I need to concentrate on showing my love for my Jesus by following His example. I am called to be a servant.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51