Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 14:1-3

John 14:1-3    "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

We usually hear these passages at funerals. We need to hear them more often, in my opinion. Jesus just gave a promise that He fully intends to keep.  I'm going away and I'm coming back to get you.  Though Jesus has been preparing the disciples for what is about to take place, it seems they have not really understood the things given to them. So, this particular part of the discourse begins with "Let not your heart be troubled." Jesus understood the things that would happen to Him could possibly shake the faith of the strongest of them; therefore, He spends these last hours comforting, instructing, and praying for the disciples.

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."  He is reminding them they have seen the power of God exhibited through the mighty miracles that have been done through the past three and a half years. Now, He says, "believe in me." Do not be discouraged by what you are about to witness; rather, stand strong and you will see a greater thing than you have witnessed to this point. "I'm going away, but I'm coming again to receive you unto myself that where I am, there ye may be also."  What a precious promise is given to the child of God.

As in most Scripture, more than one thought can be derived. But this morning, I want to concentrate on the one main thought as I see it in these verses. The disciples had been exposed to many different schools of thought throughout their time with Jesus. One thought that was constantly set before them by the Sadducees was that there is nothing after we die. We live awhile on this earth. We die. There is nothing after that.  In these few words spoken by Jesus, He assured His disciples (and us) that there is a wonderful place that awaits us when we leave this world of sin and sorry. Jesus refers to that place as the "Father's house."  

This place has to be the most glorious place of all if it belongs to our Heavenly Father.  This place must be beyond imagination if it belongs to our Heavenly Father. This place is the "hope of glory" that is taught to us in God's Word. This is the place we shall spend all eternity with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  Peter would later write of this place in these terms: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,  (4)  To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,  (5)  Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)

How beautiful heaven must be
Sweet home of the happy and free;
Fair haven of rest for the weary,
How beautiful heaven must be.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...