Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 14:1-3

John 14:1-3    "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

We usually hear these passages at funerals. We need to hear them more often, in my opinion. Jesus just gave a promise that He fully intends to keep.  I'm going away and I'm coming back to get you.  Though Jesus has been preparing the disciples for what is about to take place, it seems they have not really understood the things given to them. So, this particular part of the discourse begins with "Let not your heart be troubled." Jesus understood the things that would happen to Him could possibly shake the faith of the strongest of them; therefore, He spends these last hours comforting, instructing, and praying for the disciples.

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me."  He is reminding them they have seen the power of God exhibited through the mighty miracles that have been done through the past three and a half years. Now, He says, "believe in me." Do not be discouraged by what you are about to witness; rather, stand strong and you will see a greater thing than you have witnessed to this point. "I'm going away, but I'm coming again to receive you unto myself that where I am, there ye may be also."  What a precious promise is given to the child of God.

As in most Scripture, more than one thought can be derived. But this morning, I want to concentrate on the one main thought as I see it in these verses. The disciples had been exposed to many different schools of thought throughout their time with Jesus. One thought that was constantly set before them by the Sadducees was that there is nothing after we die. We live awhile on this earth. We die. There is nothing after that.  In these few words spoken by Jesus, He assured His disciples (and us) that there is a wonderful place that awaits us when we leave this world of sin and sorry. Jesus refers to that place as the "Father's house."  

This place has to be the most glorious place of all if it belongs to our Heavenly Father.  This place must be beyond imagination if it belongs to our Heavenly Father. This place is the "hope of glory" that is taught to us in God's Word. This is the place we shall spend all eternity with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  Peter would later write of this place in these terms: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,  (4)  To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,  (5)  Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)

How beautiful heaven must be
Sweet home of the happy and free;
Fair haven of rest for the weary,
How beautiful heaven must be.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51