Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 14:27-28 & 31

John 14:27-28    "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  (28)  Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

John 14:31    "But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence."

The Bible actually says very little about the eternal heaven. I believe the reason for that is because we would not be able to comprehend its description. Paul gives us a little insight. He said he had "heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter." (2 Corinthians 12:4)  Paul quoted Isaiah in saying, "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." It is my thought that heaven is far superior to anything we have ever seen, heard, or imagined. Jesus gives some insight into that place by His enthusiasm at the thought of going home to the Father. "If ye loved me, you would rejoice."  I'm going home. The wise man Solomon referred to it as our "long home," a place for all eternity.

Though the Bible says very little about the eternal heaven, God speaks much to us about the kingdom of heaven. This is not to be confused with that place where we will spend eternity. The kingdom of heaven is that which we can experience as we go through life in this world.  The eternal heaven is ours because, and solely because, of the work of Jesus Christ in redeeming His people through His death, burial, and resurrection. The kingdom of heaven can be experienced by our obedience to the Word of God. What is the kingdom of heaven?  Paul tells us in Romans 14:17, "The kingdom of heaven is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." This is described as the peace that passes all understanding and joy unspeakable. 

Why do I bring in these two subjects?  Jesus speaks of both of them in this chapter. Earlier in the chapter, Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15)  Keeping the commandments of Christ speaks of righteous living. The experience of His love in our hearts speaks of peace and joy. Keeping His commandments is the key to kingdom living. Notice what Jesus said in our text today.  "But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence." (John 14:31)  Notice the connection between verses 15 and 31. Both speak of an expression of love and both speak of keeping the commandments of God.  If you love me, keep my commandments. I love my Father; therefore, I do that which I am commanded.

Commanded?  Yes, commanded. I go back to the words of Jesus once again.  "No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." (John 10:18)  Jesus said He received a commandment of His Father. What was that commandment?  Lay down your life. But that was not the end result.  As Jesus had power to lay down His life, He also had power to take it up again. This was the commandment of the Father. In that work (command), we have eternal life. But also Jesus gave us the supreme example of that which is given to us.  Jesus said, "I love my Father; therefore I keep His commandment. If you love me, keep my commandment." What was that command?  Love God. Love one another.  By this shall all men know we are children of the most High God and disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51