Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 15:8

John 15:8    "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples."

I will say from the beginning that we will bounce around in this 15th Chapter this morning.  Our text is concerning the manner in which you and I are to glorify our Heavenly Father. As we glorify our Heavenly Father, we are showing and living our discipleship unto the Lord Jesus Christ. A disciple is one who follows. To be a disciple of Jesus Christ, we must follow His example. His ultimate goal and purpose in life was to glorify His Father in heaven; therefore, in order to be a disciple (follower) of Jesus Christ, our lives are to glorify our Lord.

How are we qualified and enabled to be a disciple?  I will use the words of Jesus to answer that question.  "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.  (17)  These things I command you, that ye love one another." (John 15:16-17)  You and I were "hand picked" of God to be His representatives, ambassadors, disciples.  He chose us. He qualified us. He enables us to do that which we have been called to do.

What is our ultimate calling?  We are to be fruit bearers. What kind of fruit are we to have in our lives that could possibly glorify our Heavenly Father? Again, let us use Scripture to answer our question.   "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  (23)  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)   Remember what Jesus said about the way all men would know we are His disciples?  "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35)  Notice the first thing on this list which makes up the fruit of the Spirit. Is it not love?  Our lives are to show these attributes in order for others to know we are the disciples of Jesus Christ.

(John 15:1-2)    "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.  (2)  Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit."  This calling to be a disciple is an ongoing process.  Our Heavenly Father is constantly "working on us". He is constantly trimming our lives because we are prone to allow other things to begin to take away from the true fruit. I'm not a farmer, but I do understand part of the process of growing plants and trees is that of removing the "suckers" from the plant.  This thing called a sucker does exactly what its name implies. It sucks the nutrients away from the fruit that is intended to be harvested. It takes away from the health of the fruit.

We are all prone to allow things of life to creep into our lives that suck the nutrients from our spiritual being. We all go through dry times in our lives. Sometimes events that occur will place a freeze on us and the fruit does not come forth. But sometimes, we spend more time in worldly matters than we do the spiritual matters of God. When that happens, God begins to cut away, to trim away, to use the Scriptural term, He purges us from those things that have taken the place of what truly matters. He cuts it away in order for us to experience the true joy that comes from living a life of discipleship unto the Lord.  Go back to the passage from Galatians and do a checklist on self. Am I producing the true fruit in my life that glorifies my heavenly Father?  Do I show love? Do I have the joy of Christ that keeps me even in the times of struggle? Do I have the peace of Jesus in my heart? Am I patient with others, gentle, show goodness? How is my level of faith?  Would Jesus look at me and say, "O ye, of little faith"?  Do I think I have to be overbearing in order to accomplish things? Or am I willing to wait on the Lord for His timing?  Do I allow my temper to override and ruin the fruit that is growing in my life?  These are truly things to think about especially in the day we are living.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51