Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 15:8

John 15:8    "Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples."

I will say from the beginning that we will bounce around in this 15th Chapter this morning.  Our text is concerning the manner in which you and I are to glorify our Heavenly Father. As we glorify our Heavenly Father, we are showing and living our discipleship unto the Lord Jesus Christ. A disciple is one who follows. To be a disciple of Jesus Christ, we must follow His example. His ultimate goal and purpose in life was to glorify His Father in heaven; therefore, in order to be a disciple (follower) of Jesus Christ, our lives are to glorify our Lord.

How are we qualified and enabled to be a disciple?  I will use the words of Jesus to answer that question.  "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.  (17)  These things I command you, that ye love one another." (John 15:16-17)  You and I were "hand picked" of God to be His representatives, ambassadors, disciples.  He chose us. He qualified us. He enables us to do that which we have been called to do.

What is our ultimate calling?  We are to be fruit bearers. What kind of fruit are we to have in our lives that could possibly glorify our Heavenly Father? Again, let us use Scripture to answer our question.   "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  (23)  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)   Remember what Jesus said about the way all men would know we are His disciples?  "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:35)  Notice the first thing on this list which makes up the fruit of the Spirit. Is it not love?  Our lives are to show these attributes in order for others to know we are the disciples of Jesus Christ.

(John 15:1-2)    "I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.  (2)  Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit."  This calling to be a disciple is an ongoing process.  Our Heavenly Father is constantly "working on us". He is constantly trimming our lives because we are prone to allow other things to begin to take away from the true fruit. I'm not a farmer, but I do understand part of the process of growing plants and trees is that of removing the "suckers" from the plant.  This thing called a sucker does exactly what its name implies. It sucks the nutrients away from the fruit that is intended to be harvested. It takes away from the health of the fruit.

We are all prone to allow things of life to creep into our lives that suck the nutrients from our spiritual being. We all go through dry times in our lives. Sometimes events that occur will place a freeze on us and the fruit does not come forth. But sometimes, we spend more time in worldly matters than we do the spiritual matters of God. When that happens, God begins to cut away, to trim away, to use the Scriptural term, He purges us from those things that have taken the place of what truly matters. He cuts it away in order for us to experience the true joy that comes from living a life of discipleship unto the Lord.  Go back to the passage from Galatians and do a checklist on self. Am I producing the true fruit in my life that glorifies my heavenly Father?  Do I show love? Do I have the joy of Christ that keeps me even in the times of struggle? Do I have the peace of Jesus in my heart? Am I patient with others, gentle, show goodness? How is my level of faith?  Would Jesus look at me and say, "O ye, of little faith"?  Do I think I have to be overbearing in order to accomplish things? Or am I willing to wait on the Lord for His timing?  Do I allow my temper to override and ruin the fruit that is growing in my life?  These are truly things to think about especially in the day we are living.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...