Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 16:7

John 16:7    "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."

"It is expedient for you."  If we could have asked the disciples at that very moment about their feelings, I'm sure they would have much preferred Jesus to stay with them rather than to go away.  No doubt their emotions were running high at the moment. Jesus was telling them things that were difficult to understand. In fact, later in this chapter He would tell them that very thing.  "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." (John 16:12)  Jesus promised "another" Comforter, which meant to this point He had been their Comforter. Being in that position with them, He knew what they were capable of handling and what they could not.  

A wonderful hymn states, "He hideth my life in the depths of His love, and covers me there with His hand." (He Hideth My Soul, Fanny J. Crosby)  Even on this evening when He had told them He was going away, He hid them under the cover of His loving grace and mercy.  He gave them some warning as to what lay ahead for them, but instead of giving them all of it at one time, He told them of "another Comforter".

If you and I knew every detail of what lay ahead of us, we would try to alter the situation in one way or another.  We would be tempted to avoid the very things that God is going to allow into our lives that will ultimately give us strength and a deeper relationship with Him.  We do not enjoy the pains and sorrows that come with hardship and disappointment; yet, God uses those times to draw us closer to where "He hideth my life in the depths of His love, and covers me there with His hand."  It is in those times that we especially can feel the power of His grace and mercy.

Though Paul was not in the upper room when Jesus spoke of this Comforter, he certainly understood and experienced the comforting hand of the Lord by way of the Holy Spirit.  "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  The words, "rest upon me," carry the same meaning as expressed in Fanny Crosby's song, "He hideth my life in the depths of His love."  Peter also understood the experience of God's mercy and grace. "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:  (7)  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Jesus told the disciples, "And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me." (John 16:3)  He also said earlier in this discourse, "Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also." (John 14:19)  He was explaining to these men (and to us), there are those in the world who do not, who cannot see Him. You and I can see Him and know He is alive because this "another Comforter" has come to live in our hearts. He reveals to us the things concerning Jesus. He brings to our remembrance those things which Jesus has said. He covers our lives in the depths of God's love. He gives us instruction and guidance as well as comforting our hearts. We should be thankful for the grace and mercy of the Lord in that He has given us the third Person of the Godhead - the Holy Spirit.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...