Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 16:33

John 16:33    "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

I often wonder how much time was spent in this upper room. Jesus had much to say to His disciples. He left them words of encouragement, peace, joy, and instructions in righteousness.  He opened His heart to them. He was joyfully anticipating His return to the Father's House.  He knew the pain He would have to endure; yet He looked beyond that to the moment when He would resume His rightful place at the Father's side. Today's text contains the last words Jesus spoke to His disciples in that upper room.  When we look at chapter 17, we will see His last action in that upper room was to pray for them (and for us).  

I have often thought that it would be so nice to be able to go through life without any problems or troubles.  But as I look at those thoughts, I realize I'm thinking them through a mind that has been corrupted by sin. As I think those thoughts, I am reminded that God's thoughts are not my thoughts and His ways are not my ways. See Isaiah 55:8.  I dare not question God's motive in allowing trials, troubles, and tribulations to enter my space, for He has promised to bring me to His expected end. He has promised to be with me all the way from beginning to end.  So, I try not to question why He allows these things to come  upon us; rather, I hope to concentrate on that which He has promised.

The world offers many things and promises those things to be the answer to all your problems.  They say you can drink your troubles away or use illegal drugs and you will not be bothered by any problems.  Jesus said back in John 16:11, "the prince of this world is judged."  The one who promises worldly things to remove your struggles has been judged to be a murderer and a liar. That, which he says will take away your problems, actually multiplies your problems.

Yes, Jesus promised tribulation will come upon us as we go through this life.  But greater is He that is in us than he, or it, that is in the world. So today, I concentrate on the peace that is only found in Jesus Christ. "In me ye might have peace."  Jesus has never said He would remove all struggle in life, but He has promised grace sufficient to endure. There is a popular saying: "If God leads you to it, He will take you through it."  Peace does not mean the absence of problems; rather, peace is the presence of Jesus Christ in the midst of the storm.  

In the prayer of John chapter 17, Jesus tells us that we are in the world, but we are not of the world. He has placed a difference within us. He has given His Holy Spirit Who lives in us and brings the words of Jesus to our remembrance. As we remember His words, we can know Christ is with us and giving us peace and strength for each moment we live.  Knowing these things, we can "be of good cheer" because He has "overcome the world."  We are more than conquerors through Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51