Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 17:24-26

John 17:24-26    "Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.  (25)  O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.  (26)  And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."

I love the hymn of praise, "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" by Stuart Townend.  Here is the first verse:

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

Have you ever stopped to think about how deep God's love truly is for us?  Jesus tells us in these verses and even yet, I cannot truly fathom just how deep His love is for me.  

Listen to the conversation that occurs between Father and Son:  

"Father, it is my desire for these to be with me for all eternity. My will is not only for these eleven men here, but also all that you have given me.  I want them all to be with me where I am.  They have seen a portion of my glory through my teaching, my healing, and my daily conduct. (And I add - Peter, James, and John saw as I was transformed on the mountain.)  But I want them to see my full glory when they arrive where I am going."
"Father, the world's society does not know you, neither can they know you unless you reveal yourself to them. But I have known you and those that you sent me have known you. I declared your name to them and I will continue to declare it to them. I want them to know the love you have for them is the very same love you have for me. I want them to know that your love and my love for them is exactly the same."

I confess to you that even when I put it in the most simple terms, I still cannot comprehend just how deep is the love that my Heavenly Father has for me.  For you see, I can understand His love for His only begotten Son. I can understand His love for His perfect Son Who had no sin whatsoever. I can understand His love for the One Who always, always did the will of His Father.  But I cannot understand how He could love a wretch like me.  I cannot fathom His perfect love for an imperfect being. And I definitely cannot understand that He would love me with the love He also loves His Son, Jesus.

No, I cannot understand it, but I am so very thankful!  I am so grateful that my Lord came to me when I was an enemy to Him and lovingly drew me unto Himself.  "How deep the Father's love for us. how vast beyond all measure!"  And yet, we know it is true!  "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." (Jeremiah 31:3)   Yes, Jesus loves me for the Bible tells me so. But more than that, the Holy Spirit within me tells me of this great love that has been given to me by my Father in Heaven.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51