Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 18:28

John 18:28    "Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover."

Isn't it amazing what people will do to justify their actions to themselves? Isn't it amazing what we will do to justify our actions to ourselves? Isn't it amazing what I will do to justify my actions to myself?  I am not discounting these actions toward Jesus are all part of God's plan of redemption. I am not discounting that God ordained certain things to be done in order for this plan to be carried out. We see throughout Scripture, especially concerning the life of Jesus, when something was done "that the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled." (John 18:32)   Yet, it strikes me to the heart that human nature is such that we do what we want to do, accusing or excusing, according to our own nature.

These men had taken Jesus to Annas, father-in-law to Caiaphas, and then to Caiaphas the high priest. They could do nothing with Jesus for they knew He had done nothing wrong; yet, they were not going to release Him.  They then took Jesus to Pilate's hall of judgment. Pilate would ask them concerning the accusations against Jesus. Again, they knew Jesus had done no wrong, but had to say something. They simply said to Pilate, "If he were not a malefactor (criminal), we would not have delivered him up unto thee."  Where are the accusations against Jesus? Why were they not specific when asked about His wrongdoing? (Which by the way, we all know He did no wrong.)

But my thought for today is found in the fact they would not go inside the judgment hall because they did not want to be defiled.  If they had been defiled by going into a place where Gentiles dwelt, they would not be able to eat the passover.  What I am about to say will edge on judging them, but it is very apparent what is taking place.  They were steeped in self-righteousness.  Jesus had spoken of this on more than one occasion.  "You clean the outside of the cup, but inside is filth."  In another place, "You are whited sepulchres."  In other words, Jesus was saying to them, "You want to give the appearance of being undefiled, but inside is nothing but absolute defilement."  These men could possibly have been some who accused the disciples of Jesus of eating corn without first washing their hands.

Now, they might have given the appearance of doing right, but inside they were completely defiled because they were "bearing false witness" against their neighbor, Jesus.  Yet, they felt if they went inside they would dirty themselves. Here is the irony of the situation. They didn't go inside because they wanted to eat the passover.  The One they delivered to Pilate WAS THE PASSOVER LAMB.  "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us."  (1 Corinthians 5:7)   "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7) 

Here is the part that convicts me?  Do I walk around with anger, bitterness, hatred, envy, jealousy or some other hidden thing inside while giving the appearance that I am walking in God's will?  Am I more concerned with the outside rather than the condition of my heart? Am I harboring something that is preventing me from closeness with my Lord?

"Search Me, O God"  by James E. Orr

Search me, O God, and know my heart today,

Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;

See if there be some wicked way in me;

Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51