Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 18:7-11

John 18:7-11    "Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.  (8)  Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:  (9)  That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.  (10)  Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.  (11)  Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?"

A lot is said and done in these few moments while being confronted by the Roman soldiers.  Let us go back into the upper room for a moment. We hear the disciples saying as they were leaving the room, "Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough." (Luke 22:38)  Do you think Jesus was concerned as to how many weapons the men were carrying with them?  He knew what would happen. He knew why He came to this very moment in time. He knew the swords would not be necessary; yet He said, "It is enough."  As I think about these things, it appears to me that Jesus was allowing the swords to be taken for the men to have some sort of momentary sense of courage. They would not be necessary; but, He allowed them to carry their swords.  We sometimes feel if we have the proper protection that we will be okay no matter what comes our way. The truth of the matter is found in understanding the Lord is my defence. He is my sword and my shield. He is my strength. I will trust Him.

The Roman soldiers have arrived. Peter remembers he has one of the swords. He had already said, "I will go to prison. I will die with you, if necessary."  Peter drew the sword, realizing the consequences that could come his way. He slashed with the sword and cut off the ear of the high priest's servant. To me, that seems it would have carried at least a prison sentence, if not a death sentence for this attack.  At this point, whether it was determination or adrenaline, Peter was ready to follow through with his words to Jesus. What did Jesus do?  Luke, the physician, tells us Jesus "touched his ear, and healed him." (Luke 22:51)  It is apparent this act of compassion from Jesus turned any anger away from Peter; yet, I wonder how all those who came to get Jesus missed this action. Why did they not put two and two together to realize this is truly the Messiah?  His voice was so powerful, they fell to the ground. He reattached this severed ear.  Only the Messiah could have done something like that; yet, they bound Him and took him to the high priest.

In the face of the soldiers, Jesus said, "Let these go their way."  He stood as a shield between the adversary and His disciples. "Take me. Let them go." John is very specific in telling us why Jesus spoke these words: "that the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none."  When did Jesus say this? It wasn't that long ago from this particular point in time. Remember?  "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled." (John 17:12)   I'm going to say this and if you need to do so, you can draw your own conclusion.  Why would the words of Jesus' intercessory prayer be applied in a timely manner in one case and an eternal manner in another?   Why, when thinking of John 17:12 by itself, would we place it in an eternal sense of keeping those who were with Him, when John (inspired by the Holy Spirit) tells us the words were intended for the safety of the twelve who walked with Him for those three and a half years?  Out of the twelve, eleven were kept safe and one was no longer with them. Why was that one no longer with them?  According to Jesus in John 17:12, "that the scripture might be fulfilled."   Do not get me wrong, I believe in the eternal security of the redeemed of God. But we must not take scripture out of its setting to try to prove our point.

There were many things that occurred during the life of Jesus; but they all were bringing Him to this very moment of time when He would be accused and condemned by sinners.  He came for this moment that He would lay down His life for His people. "She shall bring forth a son and thou shalt call His name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)   The next three days would show the true glory of Jesus the Christ. He came to drink this bitter cup that He would redeem us from our sins.  I praise His Holy Name!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51