Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 20:24-26

John 20:24-26    "But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.  (25)  The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.  (26)  And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you."

"Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe." He wanted to experience this glory for himself. He could not be absolute in his belief until he also saw. We see Jesus in His mercy and compassion coming the second time to the disciples. But this time, He came specifically for Thomas. What were the first words He spoke?  "Peace be unto you."  He was speaking peace into the heart of Thomas. It could have been the same words spoken to the disciples when they were frightened in the boat, "Be of good cheer, it is I."  Then Jesus gave Thomas permission to touch the nail prints and to thrust his hand into the open wound on His side.  Thomas did not have to touch or thrust. I believe when Jesus spoke peace, Thomas knew this was indeed the risen Lord Jesus.

"Doubting Thomas" - Isn't that the way you have often heard this man referred?  At one time, I suppose I felt that way about him also, but I have had to change my way of thinking.  I do not think of him as Doubting Thomas; rather, he was a man who wanted to be sure of what he was going to be declaring.  In reading through John this time, I saw something that showed Thomas to be no different than the other disciples. It's easy to read right past this: "Then were the disciples glad, WHEN they SAW the Lord." (John 20:20)  The other disciples were glad when they saw. Thomas wanted to see. You and I should want to see also.

We cannot be a faithful witness based upon the words of someone else. Let me explain what I mean.  For many years, I sat under my father's preaching. I knew the right words to say. I could hear him with my ears, but I had no understanding of what he was saying. I would look around and see others with big smiles and others with tears streaming down their faces. What was happening with them? Why were they so caught up with what he was saying? I didn't get it.  Again, I could repeat his words and give right answers, but I had not experienced what he was talking about.

It was only after a particular night when the Holy Spirit began to tug at my heart and draw me to His Word. I didn't know where to begin reading, so I just opened the Bible and began reading. These are the words I read:  "We love him, because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19)  As I read those words, the little song came to my heart, "Jesus loves me this I KNOW, for the Bible tells me so."  It was at that moment that the words I had heard all those years began to sink into my heart with meaning. Yes, Jesus loves me!  Yes, Jesus loves me!   I knew it, not because someone else had told me. I knew it because the Holy Spirit spoke those words into my heart.

I am thankful the Lord has mercy on us to reveal Himself to us in a way that changes our entire outlook and approach to life. By faith, you and I can see those nail prints and wounded side. By faith, you and I know He is risen.  He lives! He lives! Yes, Christ Jesus lives today! 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51