Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 20:30-31

John 20:30-31    "And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:  (31)  But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

John 21:25    "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen." 

1 John 5:13    "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."
 

Aren't you thankful for God's mercy in leaving us this beautifully written record of the life and works of our Lord Jesus?  Today I combine a few different verses concerning the written Word of God.  Can you imagine what this world would be like if it were not for the Word of God?  John tells us these things are written that we might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  There are so many things concerning His life that are important to us. This morning's devotion is intended to stir thoughts concerning both the Word of God and the experienced Word of God. By that, I mean how many times have you been in a situation where the Holy Spirit brings peace to your mind by bringing to your remembrance something that Jesus said or did?

There have indeed been many times in my life when a passage would come to my mind. I remember times when the Lord's parting of the Red Sea brought peace when it seemed there was no hope for me. Suddenly, I heard in my spirit the words, "Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace."  (Exodus 14:13-14)  A peace settled over me when the Lord brought those words to my memory.  In other times when it seemed I was sinking in storms of life, I remembered Peter crying out, "Lord, save me!"  Immediately the hand of Jesus reached down to lift him up. He has answered that same prayer for me on many occasions.  The list goes on and on concerning things Jesus did while on this earth and still does for us today.

In Jesus, we find unconditional love, forgiveness, compassion, understanding, and acceptance. How do I know these things? As the simple little song says, "The Bible tells me so."  Believing Jesus to be the same today as He was in the accounts written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John gives us direction and hope in this life and assurance of our home in heaven when we leave this world.

I would highly recommend each one to spend time reading and meditating upon the Word of God concerning Jesus. There will come a time when you will need the assurance that can only come through believing "on the name of the Son of God."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51