Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 21:15-17

John 21:15-17    "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. (16) He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. (17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." (Psalm 136:1)  Truly, God is good. Not only does His Word proclaim that, but each of our lives can boldly and loudly proclaim, "The LORD is good and His mercy endureth for ever." Peter certainly could, and did, proclaim this great truth.  

Just a short time before this, Peter had said, "I know not this man."  He said it not once, not twice, but three times. Now Jesus is appearing to the disciples after His resurrection. He has prepared a sumptuous meal for them. When they finished, He looked at Peter and asked not once, not twice, but three times, "Peter, do you love me?"  Of course He knew Peter loved Him. Three times Peter denied. Now three times Peter was given the opportunity to declare, "Lord I love you."  We can see the mercy of Jesus in allowing Peter to do this.

Then Jesus gave Peter specific instructions. "Feed my lambs. Feed my sheep. Feed my sheep."  What was the significance of this?  For me, Jesus was saying to Peter, make sure that my children of all ages are spiritually fed. When you read Peter's letter to the strangers scattered about, you can see Peter applying this instruction to his writing.  As a pastor, this requires study, prayer, and meditation upon the Word of God. But be assured the Bible contains that spiritual food for all ages. God's Word is good for children. It is good for those in the prime of their life and it is good for the aged. Feed my lambs. Feed my sheep. Feed my sheep.

Peter did this. John also was listening and in his epistles, we see this same instruction applied.  "I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father."  (1 John 2:13)  Notice John addresses all age groups. Fathers, you have known and seen how the Lord has brought you through life. Young men, you are strong, but do not forget where your strength comes from. Children, Jesus loves you.

Though John addresses all three age groups, we never outgrow any of these messages.  Stay faithful in the Word of God and stay faithful to The Word of God, Jesus Christ. He is faithful. He is good. His mercy endures forever.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51