Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: John 21:4-6

John 21:4-6    "But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.  (5)  Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.  (6)  And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes."

The message given to the disciples was to go to Galilee and wait. Jesus would meet them there for their final instructions. While they were waiting, Peter decided to do some fishing. "Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee." (John 21:3)  In these words, I see a responsibility toward others. Jesus did not tell them to go fishing. I don't read that He told them not to go fishing. But He did tell them to wait. Why do I say the word "responsibility"?  All the others were followers as soon as Peter said, I'm going fishing. "Well, if you're going, I am also."  Peter's influence was seen.  Humans are easily influenced. Here's a simple example. How many times have you been sitting in a restaurant, you've already ordered your food. You watch the table next to yours as the waitress brings their food. You see a dish being served and immediately you say...... "I wish I had ordered that."  We are so easily influenced by others and must be careful as to the influence we exert on others.

"I'm going fishing. Well, we are also."  They fished apparently all night and caught nothing.  This should bring back memories for Peter. It happened before. When the morning came, Jesus stood on the shore and asked if they had caught anything.  I am smiling as I type their answer. "Children, have ye any meat?" Their answer was a simple, "No".  Read verse five again and see if you catch the disappointment and discouragement in that one word. Do you have anything to show for what you have been doing? No.  Are you making any progress with the project you have started? No.  As a pastor, Do your messages seem to have any effect on those who are listening? No.  Are you successful at what you are attempting to do. No.  You see, there was no explanation. There was no excuse. There was simply the one word, No. Have you ever felt that way?

This is why I wonder if they went fishing just on their own whim rather than at the instruction of the Lord.  When they answered Jesus' question with their one word answer, Jesus gave them instructions: "Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find." Sometimes life simply requires a minor adjustment. It seems so simple. Back when I used to fish a lot, I would move from place to place. If I was not catching in one spot, I would crank the boat and move to another.  Apparently these men were stubborn and kept casting their net in one place. Jesus simply told them to cast their nets on the other side of the boat. When they followed His instructions, the nets were so full of fish they could not draw it back to the boat.

Is your life at a standstill?  How is it with your worship? Does it seem stagnant? What about your job? School?  Does it seem you are getting nowhere?  It might be time to ask Jesus how to make the adjustment. Notice, they did not move the ship. They simply moved the net. For me, there have been times when I simply needed an "attitude adjustment."  I needed to find the correct place to cast my heart and my mind because I had misplaced it.  Peter would later write, "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."  (1 Peter 5:7)   I wonder if he was thinking about that day on the Sea of Galilee.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51