Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 3:7-11

Hebrews 3:7-11    "Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,  (8)  Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:  (9)  When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.  (10)  Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.  (11)  So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)"

"They shall not enter into my rest." This is the goal each day you and I live. There is a rest that belongs unto the Lord to which He bids us enter.  That rest is a place in our hearts and minds where we have stopped trying to guide our own steps and direct our own ways.  It is a place where we have stopped trying to be in control of our lives and are seeking to walk in the paths of righteousness in which our Lord leads us.  Have you found that place? Have you come to the point where there is peace and joy in your life because you know the Lord is in absolute control.  According to the Apostle Paul, that place is called the kingdom of God or kingdom of heaven. It is a place of heart and mind where we experience the righteousness of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. It is a place where we find sweet rest to our weary souls.

How do we come to this place of rest? In this passage, we are told to exercise the art of listening to God, or specifically listening to the Holy Ghost as He speaks. It requires being still before the Lord and knowing He is God. It requires our obedience to that still small voice.  Because our obedience is required, we can know for a fact that "rest" is not the eternal heaven itself.  This rest can be experienced by the child of God as we go through life, even facing the hardships of life.  The children of Israel did not enter into that rest because they would not listen to the voice of God. They would not follow the direction of the Lord. They insisted on doing things their own way.  They erred in their hearts and could not know the way of the Lord. As a result, they wandered in circles in the wilderness for forty years.

We are to seek the kingdom of heaven and the righteousness of our Lord Jesus Christ.  We are to listen to His words and follow Him. When we feel tired and wearied in our spirits, we are to go to Him for the strength and peace needed.  Jesus said it in these words, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  (29)  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  (30)  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30) Are you struggling?  Does it seem you are going in circles?  Jesus said, "Come to me." Find that rest unto your weary souls.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51