Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 10:31

Hebrews 10:31    "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

I will start out with a stark statement concerning the society in which we live:  We have lost our fear of God.  How did it come to this?  Who is at fault? We can begin in so many different places. We could say our government has tried to become our God. We could say the ungodly is at fault. We could even say the men in the pulpit are at fault for trying to present God as our "best buddy". But it seems to me it won't be corrected until I, personally, take responsibility. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

We can look at so many individuals in the Bible and see how they wandered away from the Lord. We can see Adam in the Garden of Eden. We could say he was living in paradise on earth until he forgot God. He was cast out of the Garden. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Moses was doing such a wonderful job until he disobeyed a direct command from God. He did not get to go into the land that was promised to Israel. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." David was a man after God's own heart. He was blessed to write a large number of the Psalms. He killed Goliath. He was very successful until the day he failed to be on the battlefield where he was supposed to be as king. He ultimately had one of his own warriors killed. The sword never departed from his household. The list goes on and on.  "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

We are told exactly how God views our sins just prior to today's verse.  Read this verse very carefully "Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?" (Hebrews 10:29) This verse tells me God takes my sin very personally.  On two different occasions, God, the Father, spoke from heaven, "This is my beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased."  There is no doubt that Jesus always was in the will of the Father.  God looks at my sin as trampling on the Son of God and the blood of the covenant.  He sees my sin as despising the Spirit of grace. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

I admit my writing this morning is not the most fun thing I have ever thought about.  It has hit me between the eyes concerning my life and my actions.  I want to be a better child of God.  Yes, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God, but I want to do better because I don't want to trample the Son of God under my foot. I don't want to count the blood of the covenant as an unholy thing. I don't want to despise the Spirit of grace. I want to honor my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  He is my everything. Without Him, I am nothing.  I don't want to lose my fear of God.  May the Lord have mercy on us all.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51