Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:1 (2)

Hebrews 11:1    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (2)  For by it the elders obtained a good report."

"For by it the elders obtained a good report." By faith, the elders obtained a good report.  For just a quick review, let us be reminded "faith is the substance, (or ground, or confidence) of things hoped for."  Because of their confidence, the elders obtained a good report. The patriarchs, or forefathers, that are listed in this chapter obtained a good report.  We get our word martyr from the original Greek word used for elders in this passage. We will see they "obtained a good report" in that they were used by God to accomplish great things. We will also see they GAVE "a good report" by the things they accomplished.  But we will also see they suffered great things (martyred) as they gave "a good report".

These saints of God, listed in this chapter, endured great hardships as they waited for God's work in their lives. But they endured by looking at the evidence all around them that the Lord God Almighty was always with them.  They endured through the understanding their strength and understanding came from the Lord. This was their "substance", their ground, their confidence.

Read these words of the Psalmist as he had been describing his struggle in life. He came to this very conclusion concerning the confidence he had in the Lord.  "Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.  (24)  Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.  (25)  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee (26)  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." (Psalm 73:23-26)  The word "obtained" carries the meaning of not only receiving a good report concerning their faith, but also GIVING a good report concerning the faithfulness of the Lord God Almighty.

In my hardest struggle of life, God is with me. In my darkest hour, God is with me. In my biggest failures, the Lord has promised never to leave me.  This is the good report that I have received from the patriarchs of the Bible. This is the good report that I have received in all my daily activities. This is the confidence that I have in going forward from this day. This is my faith and my report to you:  God is faithful and true.  Trust Him with all your might.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51