Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:1

Hebrews 11:1   "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

We are now beginning the walk through the Hall of Faith. Before we can truly appreciate the individuals who are listed in this chapter, we should be reminded of the Biblical definition of faith. We often think of faith as being the ability to persevere. Chapter 10 concluded with those thoughts: "Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him." (Hebrews 10:38)  We think of faith as being the ability to believe the truth of God's Word.  We think of faith as being the ability to stand strong in the middle of adversity.  We think of faith as being the ability to have good things come to us, if we can believe hard enough. Contrary to that, we think someone must not have had enough faith if good results do not come about.  But is that really the reason God gave His children the gift of faith?

What does our verse for today tell us about faith?  "Faith is the substance of things hoped for."  Faith is not the ability to achieve our own desired results. Faith is not about looking for signs that say we are about to achieve a breakthrough in a situation.  Faith is the substance, not the outcome. Faith is the evidence of things that we cannot see, but know its there. Where am I going with these thoughts this morning? I hope to direct myself to the very substance, the very ground, the very solid Rock upon which I place my hope for any and all situations.  Faith is the very presence of Christ in my life. He is my substance. He is the solid Rock upon which I stand. He has promised never to leave me and never to turn His back upon me. That is the substance of things I am anticipating in life. According to Mirriam Webster Dictionary, substance is the "ultimate reality that underlies all outward manifestations and change."

What is the ultimate reality in the life of the child of God? What is the ultimate reality that underlies things that I am waiting to experience as I go through each day? What is the ultimate reality that underlies the truth of God's Word by which I can be assured of its truth? What is the ultimate reality that underlies all events of my life? Is it not in the fact that God is always with us?  "IN GOD (emphasis mine) will I praise his word: IN THE LORD (emphasis mine) will I praise his word. (11) IN GOD (emphasis mine) have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." (Psalm 56:10-11)   Faith is the gift of God, given to His children, that enables us to hold to the very "anchor of the soul" that we saw back in Hebrews chapter 6.

Faith is not grounded in our ability; rather faith is the absolute assurance that the Sovereign God Who created this universe and all that is in it is in absolute control. I will trust Him, no matter the outcome of my life.  Job proclaimed and held to his faith by saying these words, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." (Job 13:15)  Faith does not always assure us of the desired outcome, but we are assured that our God is with us in all situations and circumstances.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...