Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:1

Hebrews 11:1   "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

We are now beginning the walk through the Hall of Faith. Before we can truly appreciate the individuals who are listed in this chapter, we should be reminded of the Biblical definition of faith. We often think of faith as being the ability to persevere. Chapter 10 concluded with those thoughts: "Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him." (Hebrews 10:38)  We think of faith as being the ability to believe the truth of God's Word.  We think of faith as being the ability to stand strong in the middle of adversity.  We think of faith as being the ability to have good things come to us, if we can believe hard enough. Contrary to that, we think someone must not have had enough faith if good results do not come about.  But is that really the reason God gave His children the gift of faith?

What does our verse for today tell us about faith?  "Faith is the substance of things hoped for."  Faith is not the ability to achieve our own desired results. Faith is not about looking for signs that say we are about to achieve a breakthrough in a situation.  Faith is the substance, not the outcome. Faith is the evidence of things that we cannot see, but know its there. Where am I going with these thoughts this morning? I hope to direct myself to the very substance, the very ground, the very solid Rock upon which I place my hope for any and all situations.  Faith is the very presence of Christ in my life. He is my substance. He is the solid Rock upon which I stand. He has promised never to leave me and never to turn His back upon me. That is the substance of things I am anticipating in life. According to Mirriam Webster Dictionary, substance is the "ultimate reality that underlies all outward manifestations and change."

What is the ultimate reality in the life of the child of God? What is the ultimate reality that underlies things that I am waiting to experience as I go through each day? What is the ultimate reality that underlies the truth of God's Word by which I can be assured of its truth? What is the ultimate reality that underlies all events of my life? Is it not in the fact that God is always with us?  "IN GOD (emphasis mine) will I praise his word: IN THE LORD (emphasis mine) will I praise his word. (11) IN GOD (emphasis mine) have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me." (Psalm 56:10-11)   Faith is the gift of God, given to His children, that enables us to hold to the very "anchor of the soul" that we saw back in Hebrews chapter 6.

Faith is not grounded in our ability; rather faith is the absolute assurance that the Sovereign God Who created this universe and all that is in it is in absolute control. I will trust Him, no matter the outcome of my life.  Job proclaimed and held to his faith by saying these words, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." (Job 13:15)  Faith does not always assure us of the desired outcome, but we are assured that our God is with us in all situations and circumstances.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51