Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:14-16

Heb 11:14-16    "For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.  (15)  And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.  (16)  But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city."

These verses continue a thought started back in verse 13: they "confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."   

"They that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country." Do you ever find yourself wanting more?  That question can apply to several different instances in life.  Do you ever find yourself, at night, standing in the kitchen wanting something but you don't know what you want?  In some cases, we keep going back until we find that right thing or until we are so full we can't hold any more.   As I look back on my life, I realize I changed jobs several times before submitting to the Lord's call to the ministry. Each time I left one place of employment for another, I felt I was bettering myself with that change. But true contentment did not come until I submitted to the call of the Lord upon my life. There are several levels in which we find ourselves "seeking a country".  This isn't necessarily a geographical location. In fact, more times than not, it is a state of the mind or heart that we are seeking fulfillment.

These saints of old confessed they were "just a passin' through" trying to find fulfillment and contentment. They declared plainly that they sought a country. They kept pressing forward seeking contentment, not complacency. They did not allow themselves the opportunity to turn around and go back. They kept pressing forward in order to find that place where they could experience the peace and joy that comes when we are in the right place according to God's will for us.  We call that the kingdom of heaven. It is an experience when the heart and mind find peace being in complete accord with God.  We can find a "foretaste of glory divine" such as we sing in the song, "Blessed Assurance."

But ultimately, as much joy as there is in experiencing the kingdom of heaven, there is that which is even greater.  It seems to me, the deepest need within ourselves that says, "we are looking for more," will only be found when the Lord Jesus Christ comes to take us to our heavenly home. Paul stated more than once, and in different ways, our citizenship is in heaven.  I've never been out of the country, and quite honestly I don't intend to, but I have seen instances when people, who have been in a foreign land for a long time, literally kiss the ground when they return home.  I don't expect to kiss the ground of heaven, but I pray that I will be able to kiss the feet of my Lord who laid down His life for me so that I might have that heavenly citizenship.  I'm so thankful that God is not ashamed to be called my God. Aren't you? 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...