Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:20-22

Heb 11:20-22   "By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.  (21)  By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.  (22)  By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones."

We saw in verse 13, "These all died in faith, not having received the promises." Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob believed the promise of God concerning a great nation, but did not live to see it take place. Yet, they believed.  Joseph was sold as a slave; yet, God raised him to be the second in command over all Egypt. His faith sustained him throughout all that time. Yet, he did not live long enough to see the promise of a great nation come to pass.  All of these men believed God is able to perform that which He had promised. Joseph believed the promises of God to the extent that he made them promise to take his bones with them when the Lord delivered them from Egypt. At that time, Israel had not even been made slaves; yet Joseph knew God would bring them out. Each of these saints passed along the promise to the next generation.

"Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12)  Is it just me, or does it seem human nature is such that we want instant results?  Patience is a virtue, but not in everyone. Right?  Maybe I'm just talking about me, now. I seem to want to see immediate results.  I once bought a "learn to play the piano" set of lessons. It was to be a self-taught manner of playing the piano "just like the pro's".  I got discouraged (heart sick) when I could not play like the pro's after the first five minute lesson.  I felt I should be able to just sit down at the piano and play anything I wanted to play. That's what they said when I saw the commercial on television. But my left hand and my right hand did not want to work together in order to make real music come from the keyboard.

When our hearts are set on a hope, any hope that we might have, it must be mixed with faith. Faith, first tells me, if God be willing, it shall happen.  If God is not willing, then He will direct the path. I had the promise of man, not of God, concerning the piano lessons. But when you know God has promised, then it is worth the wait. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph all knew it was worth the wait. God had promised and would provide the results concerning the nation. They lived in that faith, waiting for the Lord to provide. It was 430 years from the time God promised Abraham until He brought them out of Egypt.

We hear the word, "process" quite often in our day. Man's process will take us down. It is common knowledge that man's "processed" food is not as good as food in its natural state. But God also has a process and the timing of His process is perfect. There is perfect peace to those who wait, in faith believing, for God to work His process (His will) in our lives. It is good. It is right. It is best for our lives and well worth the waiting.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...