Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Hebrews 11:8

Hebrews 11:8    "By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went."

As I sit down to write, I cannot seem to get past the first two words: "By faith".  We, sometimes, tend to look at the Old Testament saints as if they were some supernatural beings that were larger than life. The good things accomplished by them were purely and simply "by faith" in the Almighty God.  He constantly reminded them of Who He is and what He was going to do for them. They made mistakes just as you and I make mistakes. They were imperfect beings; yet, they are listed in this wonderful chapter concerning faith.  God is able to do great things with weak human beings.

Abraham (Abram as was his name when God called him) "was called to go out." He lived in a place where idolatry was rampant. We are first introduced to him while he was still in that land. We are not told that he was looking to leave that country - until - God called him to go out. Abram had no faith in God until it was placed in him by God. He was content in his homeland until God spoke to him. He had no "substance" (remember Hebrews 11:1) upon which to build his life until God came to him with the promise of inheritance.

"Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him..." (Genesis 12:1-4)  

He would not have been inclined to leave his family, his father's house, his country unless the Lord had promised something better for him. Notice in the Genesis passage the number of times God says He will do something.  "I will make... I will bless... I will make... I will bless." These promises make up the substance of the things Abram (Abraham) hoped for. As a result of God's promise of "I will", Abram (Abraham) was able to go with full confidence. He did not know how God would perform the things He promised. He simply believed. He obeyed. "He went out."

This morning's lesson deals with each of us developing our God-given faith in the art of listening to God as He speaks to us. Then we can develop the art of obeying God. It is then we will receive and be thankful for the blessings He has in store for us.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...