Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 2:1-3

Deuteronomy 2:1-3    "Then we turned, and took our journey into the wilderness by the way of the Red sea, as the LORD spake unto me: and we compassed mount Seir many days.  (2)  And the LORD spake unto me, saying,  (3)  Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward."

For forty years, the people wandered in the wilderness. For forty years, they thought about their unbelief and disobedience unto the Lord. For forty years, they traveled, not getting any closer to the goal of the Promised Land. It took them forty years to travel what should have been an eleven day journey. Why?  Because they thought their own opinions were greater than the wisdom of God. God said, "I'm giving you the land."  The people said, "We cannot take the land. It is too great for us to overcome."  So, walk for forty years and think about that. And not only walk for forty years, but walk the same path over and over. See the same sights over and over.  Walk around the same mountain for forty years. Think about what you have done and the blessings you are missing. Would God do that?  Yes, He would and He did.

Then God said one day, "Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward."  The men had said, "We cannot take the land. We have to take care of the women and children. We have to protect them. Let's go back to Egypt."  All the men who had been twenty years old and above died in the wilderness. Now, it was time for the "women and children" to go into the land and enjoy the blessings of God's guidance and protection.

Have you ever felt like you were spending your life going in circles?  We sometimes call it, "Spinning our wheels."  I think most of us, if not all of us, have gone through that period of time when we felt we were not accomplishing anything. Sometimes, we do not see the results because God is using us to plant seeds, or water them, or He is working behind the scenes to accomplish His purpose in our lives.  Other times, we just may indeed be "spinning our wheels" because we have turned from God's will in our lives.  

As I look back over my life, I am sure I have missed many blessings because I felt I had a better way, or thought I was not able to tackle the task that I felt had been given to me.  When the Lord places a matter on our hearts to do, we can be assured He has already qualified us to do it. It is not a matter of our ability; rather, it is the purpose and power of the Almighty God who is directing us in all matters.  I seem to be having a theme throughout my devotions for the past few months. I repeat it once again. We are to trust Him and obey His directives in our lives. He will provide the way.

"When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, what a glory He sheds on our way.
When we do His good will, He abides with us still, and with all who will trust and Obey."  John H. Sammis

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51