Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: The Peace Of Christ - John 14:27

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. – John 14:27

As I sit and enjoy the Lord's creation and I feel the cool breeze blow across my skin, I am reminded of the peace that we find when we stop to appreciate the works of God. While we cannot necessarily count on another tomorrow in this world, all of God’s children have the assurance of something purer, something brighter, in the world to come. This brings peace when everything seems chaotic and difficult here and now.

Jesus Christ was and remains a complex Person. Not only do we have to wrestle with His dual nature, we must face the depth of His teachings. Many of the Lord’s teachings are easy to grasp even if they are hard to apply. (Have you tried loving your enemies lately?) However, some of the Messiah’s sayings make us think very hard indeed.

Isaiah 9:6 famously reveals that the virgin born Son of God would be the Prince of Peace, and yet He also said, “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword” (Matthew 10:34). How can this be? The key is found in today’s verse in John 14:27.

The peace of Jesus Christ is not what the world defines as peace. It is not necessarily a cessation of struggle but a sense that all will be well in the midst of the storm. This is the peace that passes understanding and transcends our physical experience. With the peace of Christ upon us, we can walk through the valley of death with confidence, and we can face any challenge knowing that the Lord is with us.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51