Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 10:14-16

Deuteronomy 10:14-16    "Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD'S thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.  (15)  Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day."  

It continues to amaze me as to how the Lord speaks so loudly at times through His Holy Word.  It happens so often during my studies and it seems especially to happen as I study for these morning devotions. My chief concern is that I will not be able to communicate to you what I see in various passages of Scripture. Today is one of those times when the Lord did not speak loudly, but in a still, small voice He declared the greatness of His love for you and me.

Have you ever been struck with awe when you see a beautiful sunset or sunrise? I still am amazed when I come to a place where I can look out over hills and valleys. The mountains have a beauty that is all their own. What about the stars at night? Do you still find yourself just standing and looking up into a starlit sky?  A full moon? These are just a few things that capture our attention, but do they cause you to stop and realize just how beautiful this universe truly is? And just how glorious our Lord truly is !

With those thoughts of beauty and glory in mind, go back and read the text for today. God says, "I own all those things that take your breath away."   He is the Creator of all things. God declares, "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills." (Psalm 50:10)  He calls the stars by name. His glory is awesome. He is GOD!  On two occasions, the Father declared of Jesus, "This is my beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased."  But again I ask, please take note of today's text.  Verse 15 tells us, "Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day."  

This is where God's voice quietly, but completely, penetrated my heart and mind. He owns the entire universe, but He delights in loving YOU and me.  Please, just stop and let that soak in.  God. Delights. In. Loving. You.

These verses brought motivation to me this morning to pay close attention to the verse that follows verses 14 and 15.  "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked."  (Deuteronomy 10:16)   God is saying... I delight in loving you and I want you to delight in loving me. That love involves a dedication and commitment to follow Him as He leads us in the paths of righteousness. That is to say, God loves us so much that He will lead in the way that is right for us. We should be committed to loving Him so much that we are willing to follow Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51