Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 10:14-16

Deuteronomy 10:14-16    "Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD'S thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.  (15)  Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day."  

It continues to amaze me as to how the Lord speaks so loudly at times through His Holy Word.  It happens so often during my studies and it seems especially to happen as I study for these morning devotions. My chief concern is that I will not be able to communicate to you what I see in various passages of Scripture. Today is one of those times when the Lord did not speak loudly, but in a still, small voice He declared the greatness of His love for you and me.

Have you ever been struck with awe when you see a beautiful sunset or sunrise? I still am amazed when I come to a place where I can look out over hills and valleys. The mountains have a beauty that is all their own. What about the stars at night? Do you still find yourself just standing and looking up into a starlit sky?  A full moon? These are just a few things that capture our attention, but do they cause you to stop and realize just how beautiful this universe truly is? And just how glorious our Lord truly is !

With those thoughts of beauty and glory in mind, go back and read the text for today. God says, "I own all those things that take your breath away."   He is the Creator of all things. God declares, "For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills." (Psalm 50:10)  He calls the stars by name. His glory is awesome. He is GOD!  On two occasions, the Father declared of Jesus, "This is my beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased."  But again I ask, please take note of today's text.  Verse 15 tells us, "Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day."  

This is where God's voice quietly, but completely, penetrated my heart and mind. He owns the entire universe, but He delights in loving YOU and me.  Please, just stop and let that soak in.  God. Delights. In. Loving. You.

These verses brought motivation to me this morning to pay close attention to the verse that follows verses 14 and 15.  "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked."  (Deuteronomy 10:16)   God is saying... I delight in loving you and I want you to delight in loving me. That love involves a dedication and commitment to follow Him as He leads us in the paths of righteousness. That is to say, God loves us so much that He will lead in the way that is right for us. We should be committed to loving Him so much that we are willing to follow Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...