Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 10:19

Deuteronomy 10:19    "Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt."

I received a brand new pair of house shoes recently. This morning, I almost put my feet into the old pair of house shoes. They have been good friends to me for about ten years. They are so comfortable and I have worn them every morning for all that time.  But I put on my new house shoes and realized they are just as comfortable and warm as my old ones. I really like my new house shoes and I know they will fit me and mold to my feet the more I wear them.

Now, what does that have to do with today's text?  I'm not certain, but I just wanted you to know I have a new pair of house shoes. No, as I read the verse of scripture for today, the thought hit me of how we are often creatures of habit. We get comfortable in our routine and become so familiar with everyday things that we might even take things, and even people, for granted.

In the two verses previous to this passage, the Lord had reminded the people that He loves the stranger and provides for them. He is the "God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward." (Deuteronomy 10:17)  He provides for the stranger, the fatherless, and the widows.  The wording that is used in verse 18 tells us the Lord loves "the stranger, in giving him food and raiment."

Then the Lord said, "Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt."  It is so easy to become comfortable with who we are and what we have that we forget what we used to be.  I often heard this saying when I was growing up, "Don't forget your raising."  In other words, if the Lord blesses you to become successful in any area of life, do not forget where you came from and what you were.  God said to Israel, "Don't forget to love the strangers. You were once one of them."

I often see posts on Facebook that say something to this effect, "If you are proud to be a child of God....."  I try not to use that word, but especially when it comes to my relationship with my Lord.  I am so very thankful that God in His grace and mercy chose to bestow His love upon me. I have no room to be proud in my relationship with God, for as I look back, I realize only by His grace can I say I am His and He is mine.  I never want to become so comfortable in my relationship with Him that I forget where I once was.

At the same time, I never want to become so comfortable in my relationship with Him that I use the word proud as though I achieved that on my own. To use that word would indicate I think I'm better than anyone else. But for the grace of God, I know I would be the most lost sinner that ever walked the face of the earth.  Even in my belief (my theology), only God's grace has revealed to me the things I understand. I am not smart enough to decipher on my own the details of my salvation. "Love ye therefore the stranger."  Do not talk down to those who are different, or even believe differently.  I was one of those who God brought from the depths to the heights of His love.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51