Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 9:27-29

Deuteronomy 9:27-29    "Remember thy servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; look not unto the stubbornness of this people, nor to their wickedness, nor to their sin:  (28)  Lest the land whence thou broughtest us out say, Because the LORD was not able to bring them into the land which he promised them, and because he hated them, he hath brought them out to slay them in the wilderness.  (29)  Yet they are thy people and thine inheritance, which thou broughtest out by thy mighty power and by thy stretched out arm."

As I read through Deuteronomy again, I realize just how depressing these verses can be. Please don't jump down my throat just now for admitting these feelings. Let me explain what I mean.  In these first 9 chapters (and probably more chapters to follow), we see Moses listing one by one all the times of rebellion and transgressions that the children of Israel had committed in the forty years since being brought out of Egypt.  I used to work for a man who would bring up, for the next six months to a year, every failure that I had ever made in management. It was disheartening to me and eventually I left that job for another where the work was appreciated.  Again, please don't jump down my throat until I finish my thoughts for today.  I bring all of these thoughts up to you this morning because I was comparing myself to the man who was criticizing me.  I knew he had faults as well and he was deflecting from himself to my faults in order to make himself look better.  

Now that I have that out of my system, let me say there is a definite reason for God moving Moses to speak of all the transgressions of Israel.  God had a better way for them that would have saved them from all the disasters and shortcomings that had been experienced in those forty years.  God does not deflect away from Himself in pointing out our failures; rather, He directs us to Himself.  We cannot begin to compare ourselves with God for we are sin-filled creatures and He is the Most Holy God. There is no fault nor failure in Him. There is no shortcoming in Him.  In Him, there is mercy and grace to help in time of need. See Hebrews 4:16.

When we feel low and tired because of the sin and downfalling in our lives, the Lord God Almighty says, "Come to me."  When we fail in our attempts to serve Him, the Lord God Almighty says, "Come to me."  When we sin and know we are guilty, the Lord God Almighty says, "Come to me."  Does He say that because we are worthy of those words?  The answer is an emphatic, "No!"  He says those words to us because of a covenant that was made before we were ever born.  Notice verse 27 of our text today:  "Remember thy servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."   Why does He mention those names?  It was to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob that the covenant of Israel was made hundreds of years before this time. God is faithful to His promises.  

You and I are beneficiaries of a promise that was made even before the foundation of the world. That promise was made between God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. We neither earned, nor merited, the privilege of the benefits of that promise of grace and mercy. How could we?  The promise was made before Adam was created. The promise was made before "Genesis 1:1".  The promise was made in the annals of eternity past.  How can we know God is faithful to that promise?  Because when "the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman". (Galatians 4:4)   Why did He send His Son?  Jesus came into this world to save us from our sins, our failures, our shortcomings.  Jesus came into this world as Saviour of His people!  He came to seek and save that which was lost and praise God, He did just that!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...