Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 20:16-18

Deuteronomy 20:16-18    "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:  (17)  But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:  (18)  That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God."

I do not pretend to know the mind of God concerning all things.  Many questions are asked concerning the contrast between the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," and this directive from the Lord to "save alive nothing that breatheth."  Back in chapter 7, we read these words: "And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them." (Deuteronomy 7:2)  For this part, I will simply leave it at this point, "God is not the author of sin."   At this point, I may not grasp the concept nor be able to reconcile the difference, but I can say for a surety that God did not direct them into a sinful action.  

He was very pointed in telling them why they were to do this.  He said in chapter 7:4, "For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly."  God repeated that thought here in chapter 20, "That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God."  Even God's people can easily be swayed and persuaded to go after things which we should not pursue.  They were being told to completely eradicate even the very thought of turning away from God and following the ways of the world.

Why is it important to completely remove all temptation?  Forgive me for using a worldly example.  Many years ago, I had the terrible habit of smoking.  I knew I needed to quit and tried many different ways.  I bought into the idea that it was too difficult to stop "cold turkey."  I decided I would simply cut back.  Because the temptation was not completely removed, that approach worked for about a day and then I was right back full into the habit. I allowed it to remain in front of me.  I decided I would substitute something else for that habit of smoking.  I became more addicted to the substitute than to the original, plus, I ended up using the substitute and smoking at the same time.  

The thought that I am trying to convey this morning is this:  We cannot play around with anything that would lure us away from God.  We think we will be able to handle things and remain in control of ourselves. The truth of the matter is that we must walk away from those things which lure us away from God.  "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  (8)  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." (James 4:7-8)  Only by following the leadership of the Lord are we able to overcome those things in life that seek to destroy us and our fellowship with the Lord.  Those things which present temptation must be completely removed.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51