Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 24:22

Deuteronomy 24:22    "And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt: therefore I command thee to do this thing."

As I read through the various commands of God, I am made to be more and more thankful for the redemption of Jesus Christ. When I see the many different laws given by God, I realize how vile I am and how much I need my Saviour.  As I read through Chapters 22-24, my mind kept going back to our study of the book of John in chapter 1, "And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.  (17)  For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (John 1:16-17)   I am so thankful that Jesus held nothing back. We have received the fullness of His redeeming blood.  

My mind kept going back to the book of Galatians.  "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,  (5)  To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.  (6)  And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.  (7)  Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ." (Galatians 4:4-7)  Yes, studying the book of Deuteronomy reminds me of how grateful I am that my Lord has made me free indeed.  I'm no longer a servant; rather a son, an heir of God through Christ.  Praise His Holy Name!

The Apostle Paul surely understood the burden of trying to keep the law.  He understood the condemnation of not being able to fully uphold the standards required by the law.  As he was writing to the Galatians who were trying to place themselves back under the law, he asked this question: "Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?" (Galatians 4:21)  This morning as I read through a few chapters of Deuteronomy, I was hearing the law speak to me.  The law does not speak words of kindness and mercy; rather the law speaks of condemnation and guilt.  I am so thankful for the absolute grace of God that is in the redemption of our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm so thankful that He has made me free.  "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)

As I look at our text verse for today, I am humbled that my Lord and my God brought me from the place of bondage. No, I was never in Egyptian bondage; rather, I was in a worse bondage. I was bound by sin and could not bring myself out.  I remember that place and I humbly say, "Thank you Jesus for saving me from that bondage."  How about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51