Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Deuteronomy 27:26

Deuteronomy 27:26    "Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen."

Moses had reviewed the law to the people before they were to cross the Jordan River. He now was instructing them concerning the blessing and cursing which was about to be pronounced concerning obedience and disobedience.  In verses 16-26, He condensed the law into simple sentences for the people and after each declaration, the people were to say, "Amen". Cursed was the man who made graven idols. The people said, "Amen".   Cursed is he who makes light (mock) his parents. The people said, "Amen".  Cursed be the man who removed the landmark from his neighbor's property. That is, cursed be the one who tried to increase his property by moving the stakes on his neighbor's land. The people said, "Amen".  Cursed be the one who led the blind person in the wrong way. "Amen".  Cursed be he who mistreated the widow and fatherless. "Amen".  Cursed be his who mistreated the stranger. "Amen".  Cursed be he who lieth with his father's wife. "Amen".  Cursed be he who takes money to kill an innocent person. "Amen".  And then our text for today, "Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. Amen."   In other words, cursed be he who does not say, Amen to the things concerning this law of God. "Amen".

 God asks a question in Amos 3:3,  "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"  Isn't it amazing how our Heavenly Father can bring a grand truth down to a very simple soul-searching question?  It is a fact that two people cannot walk together unless they are going in the same direction on parallel lines or one behind the other on the same line.  In the matter of walking with God, who is the one walking in disagreement if I am walking contrary to Him?  I can be assured that if I am not walking with God, I am the one who is off the line.  Therefore when the question is asked, "Can two walk together except they be agreed,"  I can be assured that I am walking in disagreement if I am not walking with God.  We can be assured that if the line upon which I am walking is not in alignment with God, I am the one who has missed the mark.  God's way is the way of truth and righteousness.  His way is always the right way. The wise man, Solomon, spoke these words twice in the book of Proverbs, "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12 and Proverbs 16:25)  Therefore, I can know my way is not correct even if I "feel" it is the right way,  The Lord, our Shepherd, leads us in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake and for our well-being.  To this, I must say "amen".  

What does the word, amen, mean?  When someone says the word, amen, what is he/she actually saying?  The word literally means "truly, or so be it".  It gives the idea of shaking hands in an agreement concerning something.  Why would the person be cursed if he did not confirm all the words of the law by agreeing and walking in the direction of those words?  Again, using the thoughts of Amos, "Can two walk together except they be agreed?  If I am not walking in agreement with God, then I am walking in a path that will bring me farther away from God and into a darker place of life.  So, I leave us this morning with positive words in which we can truly rejoice if we understand the grand truth of them:  "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree." (Galatians 3:13)   To these words I say, "AMEN"  and my desire is to walk closer than ever to my Lord to show my love and gratitude. Thank you Father!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51