Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 1 Thessalonians 2:10-13

1 Thessalonians 2:10-13    "Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:  (11)  As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,  (12)  That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.  (13)  For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

We wrote recently of Paul's heart concerning the people at Thessalonica. This was his same approach to all of God's children. He loved the Lord Jesus Christ and he loved the people of God. That love was manifested in many different ways. These verses speak of his behaviour as he dealt with the Thessalonians and his behaviour toward people, in general.  His love was shown in comforting those who mourned and also by exhorting (correcting) those whose lives had strayed from the path of God's Word.

The main thought for this morning is not Paul's conduct. Though his manner of living was commendable, he was not promoting himself to the people. His main concern was to encourage them in the Word of God. He exhorted them to continue in their walk with the Lord and that walk was to be worthy of the grace that had been bestowed upon them.  "Walk worthy of God."  That is a tall order, isn't it?  I admit to you that even as I am writing this, my mind says, "But I'm only human and I am prone to making mistakes."  I look back at the text and I see the words, "Walk worthy of God."  But Lord, you know I am weak. To which God says, "You know I am strong." ----- "Walk worthy of God."  

Do I have to be perfect in order to walk worthy of God? As I think upon this and pray about the simple statement, I hear the Holy Spirit whispering into my heart, "I didn't say walk without mistakes; rather, I said ... Walk worthy of God."  But Lord, how can I walk worthy of Him if I err from His Word?  Then He gently whispered, "Simply come back and ask for forgiveness."  Even the action of asking for forgiveness and returning from our errant walk, is showing that God is worthy of our love and devotion. He is worthy that when I stray from Him, I am determined not to remain in that "strange land" as the prodigal son had run.  

To walk worthy of God means to turn from my own wicked ways and seek His face. To walk worthy of God is to approach Him in humbleness of heart confessing my sin and asking Him to cleanse me from the filth that I have accumulated through my own wayward actions. To walk worthy of God is to seek to live according to His Holy Word. In order to do that, I must spend time in God's Word. I must study. I must pray. I must meditate upon the Word of God. I must seek to apply His Word to my life.  Why am I to do that?  For one simple reason:  God is worthy of my everything. He gave me His all and I am to present myself as a living sacrifice unto Him.  

Lord, here I am in all my weakness. Please take me in your hands. Use me. Allow me the privilege to show you glory and honour for all you have done for me. I could never repay you, but please Lord show me the way that I can somehow give honor to  your name. In Jesus' name. Amen

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...