Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 1 Thessalonians 2:11-13

1 Thessalonians 2:11-13    "As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,  (12)  That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.  (13)  For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

I use the same passage as last time because there is so much contained in these three verses.  Paul wrote these words "to encourage you, to comfort you, and to instruct you" concerning your everyday walk with the Lord Jesus Christ.  Notice something concerning Paul's instruction. He said, I write these things that "ye would walk worthy of God."  It is one thing to tell me that I am to walk worthy of God, but included in that charge must be instructions as to how I am to accomplish this. Or at the least, there should be directions as to where I can find those instructions.  Paul was faithful to do that very thing.

Where can we find instructions as to how we are to walk worthy of God? The answer is found in verse 13. The Word of God is our instruction manual to teach us how we can enjoy the blessings of the kingdom of God as we go through life here on earth.  "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  (17)  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)  God is so gracious that He inspired men of old to pen His Word in such a manner that you and I can understand it and receive instructions as to the manner we should live our lives.  The Word of God is given to the child of God. The Bible does not tell us how we can work our way to heaven; rather, the Word of God instructs us in the right way to live our lives here on this earth. Again, using an acronym for which I do not know who to give credit:  B-I-B-L-E = Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

There is one more point that I want to make from this passage of Scripture. Paul tells us that the Word of God "effectually works in you that believe."  God's promises are sure and steadfast. Our believing does not secure those promises; rather they are secured in Himself as we saw in our study of Hebrews. Let me quickly remind us. "For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,  (14)  Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee." (Hebrews 6:13-14)   The promises of God are sure in Himself and no other; therefore we can know through God's grace that His Word is effectual.  We can be sure that God's Word works!  It is true and efficient in our lives.

Time nor space permits me to do an exhaustive study of the things of God that work in our lives. You can be sure that God's promise is true that His grace is  sufficient for our every need. (See 2 Corinthians 12:9)   You can be sure that God will never turn away from you. (See Hebrews 13:5-6)  You surely can be encouraged and secured in the words of our Lord as recorded by the Apostle John, "It is finished." (See John 19:30)  We know there is a home in heaven awaiting all of God's children because the Word of God assures that promise.  "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."  (John 14:1-3)

I encourage you to spend time each day in the Word of God.  I'm sure each of you have already found this to be true, but God speaks to us daily when we take time to read and listen to what He is saying to us in the effectual (effective) Word of God. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51