Deuteronomy 32:3 "Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God."
I admit to you that this chapter is the very one I have been looking forward to
since beginning this study of Deuteronomy. There are some beautiful thoughts
contained in this chapter that Moses is blessed to share with the people.
In the previous chapters of the book, Moses has been mainly describing the
things God commanded the people to do and the reason for them to walk in the
light of the law of God. In today's two verses, He is focusing completely upon
the goodness of the Lord.
He begins these thoughts with proclaiming the goodness of the Lord. "I
will publish (proclaim) the name of the Lord." Can we stop for just a
moment and let that "distill as the dew" upon our hearts? We
should be at a place in our lives when just the mention of the name of the Lord
brings a sweeping peace across our hearts and minds. Moses is going to
speak more concerning this goodness of the Lord, but he begins by simply
saying, "I am proclaiming the name of the Lord to you." As we
think upon that name, our hearts should be lifting that name above every name.
Our mouths should be confessing that He is indeed Lord of all. We should
be humbling ourselves even at the very mention of that name. It's a sad
commentary that in the day we live, on a day to day basis, the name of the Lord
is mentioned much too lightly. We hear the name mentioned quite often, but it
is not in a reverential manner.
"I will publish (proclaim) the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto
our God." I love that grand old hymn, "How Great Thou
Art". There is a wonderful feeling that comes over me as my heart
and mind is stirred to think of the greatness of our God. Is it not our
privilege and responsibility to "ascribe greatness unto our
God"? We are in a spiritual warfare and I am made to know this
morning that the greatest way to victory in this battle is to keep the
greatness of God foremost on our hearts, in our minds, and spoken by our
tongues. Is it not time that you and I turn this around and begin to give glory
unto the Lord? I will only give one verse of Scripture, among many, that
speaks to us of giving the glory unto the Lord of which He is so worthy.
"Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in
the beauty of holiness." (Psalm 29:2)
As has been witnessed in the past 12 hours, we live in a very unstable time.
People in this world are so power hungry that they are willing to sacrifice the
lives of innocent people in order to try to elevate themselves. We must
be about the business of giving "unto the LORD the glory due unto His
name." People have become so self centered in their everyday
activities and attitudes. We must counter by giving "unto the LORD the glory
due unto His name." Many have become hardened because of sin and
wickedness that is so rampant. We must counter by giving "unto the LORD
the glory due unto His name." Many have become lax in worship and
praise because of situations. We must counter by giving "unto the LORD the
glory due unto His name." Again in this time of instability,
"He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God
of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." At this time,
it is most important that you and I make a very determined conscious effort to
"Give unto the LORD the glory due unto His name." Let us stand
strong in this great truth.