Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: 1 Thessalonians 4:9

1 Thessalonians 4:9    "But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another .... (verse 12)  That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing."

The verses between verses 9 and 12 speak of specific things we, as children of God, should be careful to maintain in our lives. I use these two verses this morning to remind myself that the ultimate purpose of my life (and your's) is to be a proper representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, Saviour, Lord, and yes, Friend. Paul used the word, "ambassador in 2 Corinthians 5:20, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."  To the Thessalonians, he uses different wording to write of the same matter.
 
It is very easy to get caught up with the matters of the world especially as they are happening in our day and time. It is easy to get upset while watching the news and seeing things taking place in the world that trouble us.  And quite honestly, it is very easy to allow ourselves to get caught up with saying things against others who we feel are doing wrong for our nation.  I oftentimes need to be reminded of the Word of God concerning these matters.

(1 Timothy 2:1-2)    "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;  (2)  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty."

(1 Peter 2:13-15)    "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;  (14)  Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.  (15)  For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men."

I realize these verses go against the grain, especially when we feel we are being wronged by those in authority.  But that does not negate the responsibility of every child of God to follow the Word of God. I write this and think back and I realize I have allowed myself in times past to speak out in ways that were not very honoring unto my God.  I realize my speaking out did nothing to change the state of the nation. But in looking back, I offended others by speaking those things.  For me, I was not in the will of God at that time and I ask forgiveness from my Lord. "... With well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men."

My responsibility is to love others and to walk in a manner that is pleasing unto the Lord.  He says by doing that, we "may have lack of nothing."  So this morning, I must ask myself: Do I believe that?   Do I believe that if I do what I am supposed to do, God will take care of the "mess that is in this world"?   My one desire is that I would not bring reproach upon the name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ nor to bring reproach upon His cause in the earth.  May God help me to do that.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51