Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ezra 1:2

Ezra 1:2     "Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah."

I read verse 2 and am amazed at the manner in which Cyrus is speaking to the people of Israel. This is Cyrus who was king of the "greatest" kingdom on earth at that time and he is speaking in such a humble manner to the captive people of Israel.  Notice such a difference between Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus. As Nebuchadnezzar was walking through his kingdom one day, he spoke these words:  "Is not this great Babylon, that I HAVE BUILT for the house of the kingdom by the might of MY POWER, and for the honour of MY MAJESTY?" (Daniel 4:30)  He was cast out and driven into the field to eat grass with the animals.  What is the difference between Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus?  Notice the words of Cyrus, "The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth." (Ezra 1:2)  Cyrus was giving the glory to the Lord God Almighty for his position as king over all the kingdoms of the known earth at that time.  In these few words, Cyrus was acknowledging the Lord God to be "KING of kings".

Not only did Cyrus acknowledge God to be his KING; but he also testified the Lord God to be "LORD of lords."  Cyrus understood his position as an earthly lord to be such that men followed and obeyed his every decree. THE LORD "hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem which is in Judah." The Lord has made a decree and I will obey His command.  But then notice another statement made by Cyrus king of Persia spoken in a land that was filled with idolatry.  People were constantly bowing down to idols to pray to them as if they had any power. But when Cyrus spoke of "the LORD God of Israel", he added a very specific statement of fact: "He is the God".  The LORD God of Israel is THE God. There is no other. Who could have told Cyrus this?  How could he have known?  I submit that he knew this great truth in the same manner you and I know this truth. God, Himself, revealed it to Cyrus in the same manner He has revealed it to you and me.

The Lord God Almighty is sovereign in all His ways!  In speaking of Nebuchadnezzar's fall, it is important to be reminded of the end of those seven years when he fed with the animals. I close today's devotion with some very important words from King Nebuchadnezzar which apply to him, to Cyrus, to me, and to you.  We would do well to read, pay attention, and follow these words in our lives.

"And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:  (35)  And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?  (36)  At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.  (37)  Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase."  (Daniel 4:34-37)

In our daily actions, may we bless, praise, and honor HIM THAT LIVETH FOREVER!

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51