Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Ezra 9:5-6

Ezra 9:5-6    "And at the evening sacrifice I arose up from my heaviness; and having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my hands unto the LORD my God, (6) And said, O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens."

If we learn nothing else from the study of Ezra, we can know for sure that Satan has no pity. If he doesn't succeed in one area of life, he backs up and comes from a different direction.

Everything was in place for the work to be completed. They had gone back to the king for affirmation of the work. They had sent for the priests to come with them. They had fasted and prayed to seek the Lord's help. Now they had arrived back in Jerusalem only to find some had inter-married with Canaanites and other enemies of the people.

It seems Ezra has had the wind knocked out of his sails. It could very well have been his thoughts to just give up and forsake the work.  But God had called him to this work and there was no going back. What was he to do?  He was even more determined to seek the help of the Lord.

In the New Testament, James wrote these words:  "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (8) Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." (James 3:7-8)

Have you ever had the wind knocked out of your spiritual sail? Have you ever thought of turning and walking away from the place where the Lord led you?  You can be assured that Satan will try his best to discourage you and cause the work to be discontinued.  But also be assured, the Lord God is greater and we are more than conquerors through our Lord Jesus Christ. He has overcome the wiles of Satan and the lure of the world. We also can overcome through Christ. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51