Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 2:1-4

Psalm 2:1-4    "Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?  (2)  The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,  (3)  Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.  (4)  He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision."

It is too easy for my mind to see the events of the world and get so caught up that I find myself angry at everything and those who are perverting the true things of life.  And yes, I do find myself asking the question, "Why are these things happening?"  Just as with the people of Israel during the days of king Ahab, I find myself asking, "How could anyone turn away from the true and living God to something that was fashioned by man's hands?"  I wonder how anyone could be so wicked that they would sacrifice their own children to an idol? Yet, we see these things happening today in our nation. We see wickedness running rampant across the land.

We can see that there are those who would seek to destroy the church and the very truths upon which we stand. May I remind myself and each one who reads this that this deluge of wickedness has been on the face of the earth for thousands of years. Ahab and Jezebel wanted to destroy those who held to the way of truth. Saul devoted his life to trying to destroy the very church of Jesus Christ. That is, he did that until the Lord Jesus met him on the road to Damascus. From that moment, his focus and purpose of life was radically changed from trying to destroy, to being one who built upon the Rock of Jesus Christ. How could there be such a drastic turn in his life? Could such a turn of people's hearts happen today?

The answer is given in this Psalm. We read these words, "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.  (7)  I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee." (Psalm 2:6-7)  So I ask myself these questions: Do I believe the Word of God?  Has God, our Father, set His King in authority?  If I believe our Lord to be in absolute control, then I should devote my heart and mind to seeking His blessings and to seek His divine presence in my life.  As I realize His presence, I want to please Him in my life.

This morning, and every morning, I want my voice to join in with "... the voice of a great multitude... saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." (Revelation 19:6)   He reigns!  He will have the last word, in His time, and for His purpose!  I want to be true to Him.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51