Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 4:1

Psalm 4:1    "Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer."

It is apparent that David was deeply troubled when writing this Psalm. He both begins and ends this verse with the words, "Hear me" and "Hear my prayer."  No doubt he was seeking the grace and mercy concerning a situation in his life. I think we can all identify with him in that we have had situations and circumstances in which we pour our hearts out to the Lord seeking His divine and blessed help in our lives. "Hear my cry! Hear my plea! Lord, I need you to help me"

Notice what he said between the two requests for God to hear his prayer. "Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress." In saying these words, David was remembering past times in his life when he had experienced the Lord's help. He possibly was thinking back to a lion or a bear that had tried to rob from his flock. He may have been thinking about the day he went out against Goliath. Whatever was going through his mind, he was reminding himself of past deliverances from the Lord.  This is so important for us to keep in mind the manner in which the Lord has been our help and shield in times past. It is important to remember when the Lord was the "lifter up of our head" in times of sorrow.  Why is this important? As we think back on past times of God's help, our faith is bolstered in our current situation.  This principle is promoted throughout the Word of God. Remember the Lord God and His blessings. Be thankful for them even as we make our new requests.

David closes this Psalm with words of comfort for himself and for us. "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)  I don't think I'm the only one who has laid down at night and suddenly finds my mind filled with all kinds of thoughts about things that I have no control over; yet, I want to try to solve them all. I lay there sometimes for hours and I actually accomplish nothing other than losing precious sleep.  David gave us the key to a good night's sleep.  Pray for the situation. Be thankful that God has heard past prayers. Seek His answer. Leave it in His hands. Close your eyes in joyful sleep.

This is not an easy thing to accomplish; yet it is the only true way to peace. "Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51