Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 6:2-4

Psalm 6:2-4    "Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.  (3)  My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?  (4)  Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake."

Have you ever heard anyone say they want what they deserve?  People often say that without truly giving thought as to what we "really deserve".  If the truth be known, we all deserve eternal banishment from the presence of the Lord God Almighty. He is Holy. We are sinful creatures. He is righteous. We are totally depraved from the ability to do any good on our own.  I do not want what I deserve. I find myself in the same frame of mind and heart as David, "Oh save me for thy mercies' sake."  Notice the plural tense of the word, mercy.  David realized his need for God's mercy every single day of his life and, in fact, many times each day. Aren't you thankful that we have the blessed truth revealed to us in the book of Lamentations:  "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.  (22)  It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  (23)  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:21-23)

As we read on into the 6th Psalm, it is evident there were adversaries of David who tried to accuse and prosecute David for whatever it was at this time that troubled him. Maybe it was his own thoughts that kept clouding his mind concerning his guilt of a particular sin. Whatever the reason, David was pouring his heart out to God.  If you have ever had the experience of thoughts crashing through your mind and telling you how guilty you are and oftentimes even going to the extent of telling your mind that God could never love someone like you, then I ask you (and me) to hear the last words of this Psalm. "Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.  (9)  The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.  (10)  Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly." (Psalm 6:8-10)

We can have a blessed assurance in our hearts when from a sorrowful heart, we seek the forgiveness of the Lord. "The LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping."  He has heard my supplication. Why was this important for David to remind himself?  We usually hear the words, "He won't listen to your prayers", after we hear the devil telling us God could never love us.  David, by inspiration of God, tells us that God does hear the prayers of a penitent heart who cries out to Him. His mercies never run dry. They are new every morning. No, I do not want what I deserve; rather, I want His blessed mercy in my life each day. How about you?

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51