Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 13:1-3

Psalm 13:1-3     "How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? (2) How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? (3) Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death"

Remembering the past can be the most exhilarating or the most painful experience you can have. We can rejoice all over again when the memories take us back to a happy time in our life. But it can be very painful when those memories take us to a dark place in our life. It is those dark times that Satan uses to hold over our heads as the writer of this Psalm expressed in verse two. How long, O Lord?  How long will I have to deal with the memory of my past mistakes?  As they are paraded through my mind over and over, my eyes become darkened with dread and remorse. 

Lord, it is only by the light of your face that I can go beyond that darkness. "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6)  Yes, it is out of that darkness that our Lord defeats our past and delivers us from ourselves. The light that drives the darkness away is only found in Christ Jesus.  Satan tries to hide the light of the Lord by the clouds of sin, but that darkness is shattered as the Lord reveals His glory to us. The dark memories can only be defeated as we turn our hearts and minds to the place where our sins were washed away.  As we, by faith, look into that cold stone tomb in which our Lord was laid, we see its emptiness. Our Saviour is no longer there. He arose. And in that victorious resurrection, our sins are no longer in that empty tomb. They were completely dealt with as Jesus offered Himself and His shed blood unto the Father on our behalf.

David prayed, "O LORD my God, lighten my eyes."  Please Lord take the darkness away. Let me rejoice once again - not in myself, but in your mercy and grace. Allow me to see your glory in the face of my risen Saviour, Jesus the Christ. Remind me dear Lord that He has prevailed over sin, death, and the grave. I have complete victory in Him and only in Him.  "And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.  (6)  And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth." (Revelation 5:5-6)   Verse 6 of our Psalm says, "I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me."

Think on these things. Allow your soul to sing to God above, "Amazing grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51