Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 16:11

Psalm 16:11    "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."

One of the first sentences learned by many, if not most, children contains these words: "I can do it by myself."  The sad part is this sentence tends to remain with most of us throughout all our lives.  "Let me help you with that.... No thanks, I can do it myself."   "Here are the instructions to assemble it... Nah, I don't need those. I can do it myself."

Did you read what God said to each of us through His servant, David?  He said, "I will show you the path of life."  He who declares the end from the beginning says, "I will show you the way."  He who has His design upon our lives to the degree that He will lead us into a life of joy and peace says, "I will show you the way."  What is the tendency of most people?  "Thanks, but no thanks. I can do it myself."

I sit here and run the survey of my life. I look back and see so many times that I took the path of "do it myself" only to find myself in a dry place where there is no peace and there is no joy.  There is great fulfillment in taking heart at today's verse. God says, "I will show you the way and when you walk with me, you will find perfect joy in your life. Instead of sadness, discouragement, and sorrow, you will find pleasures evermore."

What should be my response to this one verse that is the key to peace and joy?  I humbly bow myself before the Lord of Glory and by faith I say, "Lord, please show me the way. Father, I want to walk with you everyday. I want your joy and your pleasure in my life for which there is never a call to repent when I walk with you."   I believe you Lord and I need you.  "Precious Lord, take my hand and let me stand" in your presence.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...