Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 16:5-6

Psalm 16:5-6    "The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  (6)  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."

I am finding this particular Psalm to be filled with great riches.  I hear people constantly wishing to win the lottery. What would they do with all that money? How would they spend it?  If research has been done, or could be done, I think we would find that winning all that money actually ruined their lives rather than enhance it. So, why would anyone "wish" to have their lives ruined?

"The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup." And let me add a passage from Psalm 23 just now: "My cup runneth over."  So, if I understand the great inheritance that I have in my precious Lord, what more could I possibly want?  He provides my every need. He is my shield. He is my support. He is my stability. He is everything that is good for me and guards me against the corruption of things that would seek to destroy me. Why would I want more? He maintains "my lot".   He helps me in every step of life. Even when I make wrong turns or wrong decisions, He helps me to return to the paths laid out for my lot, my life.  Through His grace and mercy, I can return to the path He has laid out for my life, which is good.

"The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places."  The lines, or paths of life, are laid out before me by my loving Heavenly Father.  I refer now to a verse that has come to mean so much to me through the years. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11)  So I go back to the first thought of today.  If I understand the Lord is the portion of my inheritance, why would I, or anyone, "wish" to have their lives ruined?  Ask the Prodigal Son what he found in the world that was worth more than what he had in the father's house.  He will tell you, "Stay with the Father. There's nothing out there but destruction."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51