Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 16:5-6

Psalm 16:5-6    "The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  (6)  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage."

I am finding this particular Psalm to be filled with great riches.  I hear people constantly wishing to win the lottery. What would they do with all that money? How would they spend it?  If research has been done, or could be done, I think we would find that winning all that money actually ruined their lives rather than enhance it. So, why would anyone "wish" to have their lives ruined?

"The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup." And let me add a passage from Psalm 23 just now: "My cup runneth over."  So, if I understand the great inheritance that I have in my precious Lord, what more could I possibly want?  He provides my every need. He is my shield. He is my support. He is my stability. He is everything that is good for me and guards me against the corruption of things that would seek to destroy me. Why would I want more? He maintains "my lot".   He helps me in every step of life. Even when I make wrong turns or wrong decisions, He helps me to return to the paths laid out for my lot, my life.  Through His grace and mercy, I can return to the path He has laid out for my life, which is good.

"The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places."  The lines, or paths of life, are laid out before me by my loving Heavenly Father.  I refer now to a verse that has come to mean so much to me through the years. "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." (Jeremiah 29:11)  So I go back to the first thought of today.  If I understand the Lord is the portion of my inheritance, why would I, or anyone, "wish" to have their lives ruined?  Ask the Prodigal Son what he found in the world that was worth more than what he had in the father's house.  He will tell you, "Stay with the Father. There's nothing out there but destruction."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...