Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 17:8

Psalm 17:8    "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings"

The 17th Psalm is very interesting. David begins this Psalm by speaking of his strength and determination. At some point in the writing, he sees the reality of danger and opposition in life. It is at that point that he goes from what he has done to the place of total reliance upon the blessed Lord. Isn't that the way most of us look at our lives? We look at our good points and want God to be aware of them; that is, until we are faced with the reality of the enemy standing before us. At that point, our goodness goes flying out the window and we are totally dependent upon the goodness and mercy of our Lord.

The turning point was David's request, "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings."  Lord, please don't ever stop showing your love and favor upon me.  I can only stand with your help. I can only go against the enemy with your help. I can only win the battles and struggles of life with your help. "Hide me under the shadow of thy wings."  Lord, there are times that I just need a rest and there is no better place to rest than in your presence with your grace covering me.

The phrase, "under the shadow of thy wings," refers to the Holy Place where the High Priest entered once a year with the offering of blood unto the Father for the sins of the people. Lord, hide me in the power and blessing of the shed blood.  Yes, David was referring to the tabernacle, but you and I have a more sure place to hide (be covered).  We do not rely upon the blessing of the blood of animals; rather, we trust in the grace of God that was shown to us through the shed blood of THE Lamb of God - Jesus the Christ.

Lord? Am I the apple of your eye? Do you love me? How can I be certain of your love and safety? How can I know the enemy will not overtake me? The answer is found as we read this blessed passage from God's Word: 

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion: Psalm 88:1-4

Psalm 88:1-4  A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite. "O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:  (2)  Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;  (3)  For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.  (4)  I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength" I've said this before and I will say it again (and probably more times before we get to the end of the Psalms) - I love the Psalms because I can surely identify with them. Most Psalms start in a low place and as the writer expresses his thoughts, the Lord begins to lift him up out of that dry place.  Though this entire Psalm is a fervent cry unto the Lord, the Psalmist tells us specifically in three verses that he cried daily unto the Lord. Just a few Psalms ago, we were reminded that God always hears our prayers. ...

Daily Devotion: Psalm 100:1-5

Psalm 100:1-5   A Psalm of praise. "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.  (2)  Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.  (3)  Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.  (4)  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.  (5)  For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." "Know ye that the LORD he is God." As I read the 100th Psalm this morning, this verse seems to be the hinge upon which all the other verses are settled. Know ye that the LORD he IS God. Jesus prayed in His intercessory prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) We read in the book of Hebrews chapter 11:6, "... he that cometh to God must believ...

Daily Devotion: Mark 14:65-67

Mark 14:65-67    "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.  (66)  And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:  (67)  And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth." It's always nice and sweet when Devotions make us feel good about ourselves. But sometimes the Word of God causes me to become uncomfortable. Today's verses bring me to that place. It would be so very easy for me to look at the contrast between what was happening to Jesus and what was happening with Peter. It would be very comfortable for me to sit here this morning and condemn Peter for standing outside by the fire while Jesus was inside being mocked, spat upon, and struck by the servants of the high priest. It would be easy for me to sit here and say, "...