Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 17:8

Psalm 17:8    "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings"

The 17th Psalm is very interesting. David begins this Psalm by speaking of his strength and determination. At some point in the writing, he sees the reality of danger and opposition in life. It is at that point that he goes from what he has done to the place of total reliance upon the blessed Lord. Isn't that the way most of us look at our lives? We look at our good points and want God to be aware of them; that is, until we are faced with the reality of the enemy standing before us. At that point, our goodness goes flying out the window and we are totally dependent upon the goodness and mercy of our Lord.

The turning point was David's request, "Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings."  Lord, please don't ever stop showing your love and favor upon me.  I can only stand with your help. I can only go against the enemy with your help. I can only win the battles and struggles of life with your help. "Hide me under the shadow of thy wings."  Lord, there are times that I just need a rest and there is no better place to rest than in your presence with your grace covering me.

The phrase, "under the shadow of thy wings," refers to the Holy Place where the High Priest entered once a year with the offering of blood unto the Father for the sins of the people. Lord, hide me in the power and blessing of the shed blood.  Yes, David was referring to the tabernacle, but you and I have a more sure place to hide (be covered).  We do not rely upon the blessing of the blood of animals; rather, we trust in the grace of God that was shown to us through the shed blood of THE Lamb of God - Jesus the Christ.

Lord? Am I the apple of your eye? Do you love me? How can I be certain of your love and safety? How can I know the enemy will not overtake me? The answer is found as we read this blessed passage from God's Word: 

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51