Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 19:13-14

Psalm 19:13-14     "Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.  (14)  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

"Keep back thy servant... from... sins."  Sometimes it seems that my prayers are directed toward my wanting the Lord to just be like our Mommas when we were little. If we were close to something that would hurt us, they would put their arms in front of us to prevent us from going any farther.  For many of us, we lived in a time before car seats. We would even sometimes stand up in the front seat to see where we were going and what we were passing by.  This is not advisable, but there were not as many cars on the road back then and quite honestly most people drove sensibly on the highway. But if the brakes had to be hit, the first thing we felt was Momma's arm to hold us back from falling.  

"Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me."  To me, that seems to be saying, "Lord, please give me wisdom that I will not overstep my boundary. Help me to know when to speak and what to say. Help me to know what to do and when to do it. Guide me Lord, even in my thoughts that I will not be led in a direction that is contrary to your will for me."  So now, I ask... How can I know these things? When you go back and read Psalm 19:7-11, you will see God is directing us to His Holy Word. He speaks to us of the goodness of reading, meditating, and following the Word of God in our lives. Not only does He direct us toward His Word; but also, He speaks to us of having a relationship with HIM.  It is one thing to have a relationship with His Word. By that, I mean it is possible to memorize and be able to quote many parts of the Bible without really stopping to think about the source of those words.  Yes, it is important to know the Word of God, but we must always associate that Word with the Author.  Knowing the Word of God should lead us to a very personal daily walking, working relationship with the Lord, Himself.

We will see in Psalm 119 that the Word in our hearts helps to prevent us from many sins against the Lord.  It is as we are familiar with the Word of God that we can then successfully pray, "Keep me from presumptuous sins. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."  Heavenly Father, please direct me according to your Word. Guide me in and through your Word as I go from day to day. 

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51