Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 22:1

Psalm 22:1    “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?”

We are not told what was happening in David’s life when this Psalm was written. It seems he certainly felt alone in the world. He was in such heaviness that he felt like God had turned his back on David.  WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME? Why have you removed yourself so far from me?

We all know the proper words to respond to the above questions. We know God doesn’t move away from us; rather we move away from him. But have you ever felt like David? Has it ever seemed to you that you are all alone in trying to fight the battle? David surely felt that way.

David did not realize that he was speaking the very words that the Messiah would speak while hanging on the cross. Some thousand or so years later, Jesus would be nailed to a rugged cross. Nails would pierce His hands and feet. The people would mock Him. (You can read David’s description of this in the 22nd Psalm.)  As Jesus hung on that cross, the sin of all His people were placed upon Him.

Paul described it in this manner:   “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” (2  Corinthians 5:21)  It was at this time that God, the Father, would not look upon sin. He turned His face away from His only begotten Son. The world was covered with darkness. Jesus indeed hung between heaven and earth as that perfect sacrifice.

It was in that darkness that Jesus cried out with a loud voice, My God, My God, Why hast thou forsaken me?  The truth is that the Father forsook His only Son in order to bring you and me into the right relationship with Him. He forsook His only begotten Son but will never forsake you and me.  Jesus accomplished this for us by God’s grace.

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51