Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 23:1

Psalm 23:1    "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

It is impossible to know exactly how many devotions have been written and how many sermons have been preached about the 23rd Psalm.  I am humbled to even begin to write anything about this Psalm because I too often feel like a wayward lamb instead of that steady faithful one that remains with the flock.  Maybe you can identify in some way also.  I am humbled because the shepherd watches over his entire flock. He isn't just involved with those lambs who remain with all the flock and behave themselves in the most proper way. If you are one of those proper behaving lambs, God bless you. The shepherd is there for you as well.

But it seems to me the eyes of the shepherd must constantly be scanning the perimeter of the flock for those lambs who tend to stray. The most common parable that is used to illustrate the work of the shepherd was told by Jesus, Himself. He spoke of the entire flock, but His attention went to that one lamb who strayed away. The Shepherd went after that one lamb. When He found that lamb, He carried him back to the fold on His shoulders.  I am so thankful that our Lord is concerned about and cares for every single lamb in the flock. He is not willing that one of HIS FLOCK should perish; rather, He constantly is looking and taking care of even that one lamb to make sure He remains in the fold.

That being said, I am so thankful that I can say along with David,   "The LORD is my shepherd."  He is my Shepherd in that He makes every provision for me and gives the ultimate and complete care for my eternal destination and also my daily walk.  Knowing His love for me, I desire to walk closer to Him. Knowing He will provide my every need, I want to please Him. Knowing He is my Shepherd, I am perfectly content and do not want for anyone else to have that role in my life.

Yes, "The Lord is my shepherd" and I want to keep my eyes upon Him.  "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.  (2)  My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:1-2)

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
by Helen H. Lemmel

O soul are you weary and troubled
No light in the darkness you see
There's light for a look at the Savior
And life more abundant and free

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in his wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51