Skip to main content

Daily Devotion: Psalm 31:9-10

Psalm 31:9-10    "Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.  (10)  For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed."

Quite honestly, this 31st Psalm is a sad one to read.  David feels himself to be all alone in the world and among a nation that he loves dearly. Some of the people that he tried to help have turned against him. We know Saul turned against him and tried to kill him. There was strife among his own family. People of the nation were taking sides. David had strife within himself that he was constantly having to battle.  David literally felt the weight of the world of Israel upon his shoulders.

Recently, we saw David stretching himself out before the Lord. "Into thy hands I commit my spirit." .... "Lord, my life is in your hands. The world around me seems to be falling apart and I can't do anything to stop it. I belong to you and I want your guidance in my life because I cannot handle this on my own." Then he goes farther with his prayer: "Have mercy upon me, O LORD."   I tremble when I hear people say they want what they deserve. David did not want what he deserved, for he knew he deserved the very wrath of God. David wanted and pleaded for MERCY.  

"Mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly."  David was saying, "I cannot see things in a logical manner."  I can't "think straight" because grief has clouded my vision and my mind." Grief is "tearing me up". It is consuming the very core of my being. People that I thought were supporting me have turned against me. Lord, I cannot handle this on my own. Please help me to be able to get through this struggle.

Again, I tremble when I hear people say they want what they deserve. As for me, I want and need God's mercy. How about you?  We may not have the same battles to fight as David did, but I assure you that we all face struggles of life that can cause grief for ourselves and for others. We do not need our just reward; rather, we need mercy.  I find myself as that publican in the temple as he prayed, "Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner."  He would not even lift up his eyes toward heaven because he did not feel himself worthy. "Lord, be merciful."

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Devotion (Video): Armed with the Mind of Christ

Daily Devotion (Video): The Prayer

Daily Devotion (Video): Come And See - John 1:43-51